18 || Friends

Harry had arranged everything with Katie. He explained how Snape knew how to get past Fluffy and how Hagrid had accidentally let slip to the three Gryffindors that Fluffy will fall into a deep sleep if you just play him some music. On top of that, Harry told Katie that Dumbledore had received an urgent owl from the Ministry of Magic and left for London, but Harry believed it to be a hoax planted by Snape to get Dumbledore out of the castle.

Katie was going to go through the trapdoor with Harry, Ron and Hermione to get the Philosopher's Stone before Snape could. Any normal person would be worried about facing that dog and whatever lay beneath the trapdoor, but Katie was more nervous about confronting Ron. The pair still had not made amends, but this was Katie's chance to prove her loyalty to her friends.

This time, when Katie got out of bed to get dressed, Pansy did not wake up. Katie pulled on a pair of loose jeans and a grey jumper before leaving the dormitory. She was going to meet Harry and the others at the third floor corridor, and then they would go down the trapdoor together.

However, upon walking out into the common room, Katie realised that there was going to be a change of plans.

Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle were all sitting on the couches in the common room, smug expressions planted on their faces. Katie felt her stomach twist into a horrible knot. She knew that this couldn't be good.

"Where are you off to, Blair?" Draco asked, standing up.

"Mind your own business, Malfoy." Katie grumbled, picking up her pace. She was only a few feet away from the common room door when the three boys sprung in front of it, blocking her.

"C'mon, Malfoy, let me go." Katie whined.

"So you can go sneak around with Potter? Not a chance." An evil smirk spread across Draco's face. Katie froze, glued to the spot. Her next words came out in a tangle of stutters,

"H-How do you—"

Malfoy cut across her. "I heard you two talking earlier. Mind you, I didn't hear much, but I picked up on him telling you to meet him on the third floor tonight."

"Listen, Draco, you have to let me go. You don't understand how important this is." The desperation in Katie's voice was clear, making her seem weak and helpless, which only encouraged Malfoy to restrict her from going to Harry.

"I don't think kissing Potter is that important, Blair." Malfoy sneered teasingly. Katie's face grew hot and a pink tinge brushed across her cheeks, but her embarrassment was snappily replaced with anger.

"It's not like that, Malfoy. Seriously, let me go!" Katie tried to shove past Malfoy, but she didn't get very far with Crabbe and Goyle grabbing her by the shoulders and pushing her away.

Draco folded his arms and leaned against the door. "No," he said, "I don't think I will."

Acting on emotion (anger) rather than logic, Katie whipped out her wand and pointed it straight at Goyle. Fear clouded over the boy's face, but he had no time to react or counter before Katie hexed him.

"Petrificus Totalus!" she cried. Goyle's arms snapped down by his side and his legs sprung together. He wobbled around for a few moments before falling flat on his back, stiff as a board.

"What did you do to him?" Malfoy demanded. Though his voice was full of anger, his eyes were filled with terror.

"Full body-bind. Hermione taught it to me. Now, move out of the way or you'll be next."

Malfoy let out a short laugh in the form of a breath and pulled out his own wand, pointing it straight at Katie. "Oh, I don't think so."

Katie hastily preformed the body-bind curse on Crabbe who, like Goyle, had a poor reaction speed. Now, it was only Draco and Katie, circling each other like hawks in the Slytherin common room.