10 || Letters

Dear Mum & Dad,

Hi! It's Katie. How are you?
Chris is looking after me and my classes are generally fun. Professor Snape is a nightmare! He already hates me and I've only had three classes with him. He assigns us an unrealistic amount of homework, but apart from that, Hogwarts is amazing.

Guess who I'm friends with...

Harry Potter!

He's the same boy that I met that day in Diagon Alley. I sat with him on the train and saw his scar. He's the real Harry Potter! Isn't that so cool?

I've also made two other friends. One is Ron, Ron Weasley. He's not great with his classes, but he's funny. Another is Pansy Parkinson. I share a dorm with her. She's not the nicest person in the world, but she took me under her wing when I arrived at school.

I GOT ONTO THE QUIDDITCH TEAM!!!

Can you believe it? I still can't! I'm the Slytherin seeker! If I'm being honest, I wanted to play as a chaser, but I also wanted to be the seeker just so that prat Draco Malfoy couldn't be. He's such a pain, you have no idea...

Now its time for the bad news. I know you'll be disappointed, but you have to promise not to get mad.

I was sorted into Slytherin...
I know, I know, I'm a let down. I'm going to ruin the family name. I was so excited to be in Gryffindor with Chris and Niall and Oscar and Harry and Ron, but the hat put me in Slytherin. I am not a Slytherin! I just don't understand what happened. What went wrong? There must be a mistake.

I have to go now. I could do with some sleep. Tell Leo I said hi and that I miss him terribly!

Love,
Katerina.

***

Dear Katerina,

Did you really meet Harry Potter? That's so cool! I'm glad you're enjoying Hogwarts. I loved it there when I was a girl, and it's nice to know you share that same love for the school. I hope Chris is treating you well and taking care of you! Tell Niall and Oscar that I said hello.

Professor Snape? As in Severus Snape? I went to school with him. The poor boy was always bullied by that boy James and his best friend. Although, he was never the nicest fellow. He once called Lily Evans a mud-blood! Can you believe that?!

Now, Katerina, one thing I want you to know is that, no matter your Hogwarts house or friend group, we are so, so proud of you. I don't care that you were sorted into Slytherin. I'm proud that you were sorted into Slytherin, because now Slytherin house has earned one heck of a witch. You'll do great!

Love,
Mum.