104 || Crucio

Hogwarts had changed — really changed. The breakage of small, petty rules such as running in the corridors was punishable by means of the Cruciatus Curse. The Carrows loved the Cruciatus Curse.

Storm clouds seemed to hang over the school at all times, and although it never rained, there was an occasional crack of thunder and a gloomy atmosphere seeped inside the castle walls. Even Peeves had given up on causing mayhem, which was really saying something.

Katie barely spoke to anyone. She was not exactly on speaking terms with anyone in Slytherin, so she sat alone at meals and ate in silence, and she spent as little time as possible in her common room, instead choosing to do her homework in the library. The other students seemed to be giving her a wide berth — perhaps they were unsure if she really was a Death Eater or not.

She had Herbology and Charms classes with Neville, but other than this, she was alone in her classes. Sometimes Ginny and Neville would join her in the library, which was exactly where the trio were when a sudden realisation struck Katie.

"Where's Luna?" she asked.

In perfect synchronisation, Ginny and Neville's faces paled, and they shared a nervous look. Then, Ginny gulped harshly and said, her voice hoarse, "We don't know."

Katie blinked, bemused. "What do you mean?"

"She's just disappeared," Neville said. "She never came back after Christmas."

"Maybe she just chose to stay home?" Katie suggested. "I mean, if I had a choice, I wouldn't be here, it's horrible."

Ginny shook her head. "We don't have a choice. Everyone has to come to school. And what do you mean, if you had a choice? You skipped the first term, why come back now?"

Katie's mouth went dry. She realised that she had said too much. Clearing her throat and scratching behind her ear, she mumbled, "It doesn't matter."

Ginny eyed her sceptically but she could see how uncomfortable she was so she let the subject drop. Ginny then reached into her bag, pulled out a gleaming, golden Galleon and slid it across the table to Katie, who slammed her hand down on top of it before it could slide onto the floor.

Her confused eyes danced between Ginny and the Galleon. She had just opened her mouth to ask why Ginny had spontaneously given her money when Ginny answered the unspoken question for her.

"I'm taking it you don't still have your DA coin on you?" Ginny said. Katie's eyes widened and she lifted up the fake Galleon to examine it in the light.

"This isn't — you haven't..." she gasped.

Neville smirked. "Oh yes we have. You've seen the way Amycus teaches — it's not Defence Against the Dark Arts anymore, it's just the Dark Arts."

"We all know there's a fight coming," Ginny added gravely. "We all need to be prepared when it happens. So, will you rejoin the DA?"

Katie knew Ginny and Neville were taking a great risk by reforming Dumbledore's Army. If they were caught, they probably would have been tortured into madness, and as Katie stared at their hard, determined faces, she did not think she had ever admired two people more.

"I'm in." Katie said, pocketing her Galleon.

***

The area that the Room of Requirement provided for DA training was exactly the same as Katie remembered. One wall was entirely obscured by shelves hosting huge, old and dusty books. A pile of silk cushions sat in a basket in the corner, and a fire glittered in the mantle at the far end, reflecting in the many mirrors.