37 || Sighted

All the while Madam Pomfrey was tending to Draco's wounds and doing her best to aid him, Katie sat by his bedside. Yes, it definitely annoyed Madam Promfrey. She continuously shot Katie snobby glances, but Katie didn't much care, she just wanted to make sure that Draco was alright.

Once Madam Pomfrey had done all she could for Draco, she disappeared and Hagrid, who had been sat in the corner of the hospital wing since the Care of Magical Creatures class, stepped over to Katie. He placed a comforting hand on her shoulder.

"Yeh should really be getting back ter yer classes." he said matter-of-factly. Katie shook her head quickly. Hagrid merely sighed and gave the Slytherin girl's shoulder a gentle squeeze.

"Sure yeh'll be OK?" he asked her seriously. Katie sniffled and nodded uncertainly. She did not dare to take her eyes off Draco, who still had not woken up since he passed out in Hagrid's arms an hour before. Madam Pomfrey said he had lost a lot of blood.

"Alrigh' I'll have a chat with yer Professors, tell 'em where yeh are, and I'll let Harry and Ron know if I see 'em." Hagrid told Katie as he gathered himself to walk away.

Katie smiled weakly. "Thanks, Hagrid."

Hagrid disappeared behind the doors to the hospital wing, leaving Katie alone in a wide room with nothing but silence and her unconscious enemy to keep her company.

With every minute that went by in which Draco did not wake, Katie grew more and more anxious. Her blood was pumping wildly with nerves and she bit down on her lip so hard that she made it bleed twice.

Without thinking about what she was doing, Katie took Draco's hand in hers and gently rubbed the back on his hand with her thumb. She wished she could say that he looked peaceful, but that would be a lie. His face remained contorted in a pained expression — eyes squinted shut, eyebrows furrowed.

A further half hour passed. Katie done nothing but flick her eyes between the unconscious blonde and the enormous clock that was mounted on the wall.

Just as the clock struck the hour, Draco let out a small moan and he stirred. Katie jolted and her eyes widened with hope. Miraculously, Draco's silver eyes fluttered open, but his eyebrows remained furrowed.

Draco gazed around suspiciously. It took him a few seconds for him to come to terms with where he was. Then, his eyes traveled from the hospital beds to the slightly smiling face above him. His eyes narrowed when he saw Katie.

"What are you doing here?" he asked more violently than intended. Katie's heart sank but she decided not to let her sadness show.

"Making sure you're OK, dumbass." she replied, half joking, half serious.

"Well don't," Draco grumbled and sat up. "I'm fine."

"Draco, you don't have to pretend—"

Draco cut Katie off harshly. "Just because we had one nice conversation does not mean we're friends, got it?"

Katie was a little taken aback. Her mouth dried up and fell slightly agape, but she quickly shook herself. Clearly, Draco was back to his normal self — passing around insults like they were chocolate frogs — which meant that he was fine and she could stop worrying. She was starting to begin why she was even worrying in the first place at all. After all, she and Draco weren't friends, as he so kindly pointed out.

"And holding my hand doesn't make us friends either?" she retorted, raising an eyebrow.

For a split second, Katie could've sworn she saw Malfoy's expression soften, but he collected himself too quickly for her to be certain. His eyes narrowed into slits and he scowled.