20 || Compartments

Katie, Hermione and Ginny were all sat together in a compartment on the Hogwarts Express. Every few seconds, one of the girls would poke their head out of the carriage door to see if Harry and Ron, who had mysteriously vanished, were on the train. Each time, the boys were no where to be seen. When the train started up and begun moving, Katie really started to panic.

"They're propbably just in a different compartment." Hermione said comfortingly, though Katie knew that she was really only trying to reassure herself.

Twenty minutes of travelling had passed and Katie had become sick with nerves. Suddenly, she sprung up out of her seat and announced that she was going to find the boys. Neither Hermione nor Ginny tried to stop her. The first compartment Katie checked was the one direclty opposite hers.

Inside, there sat a rather plump boy with horribly crooked teeth. He was clutching a slimy frog in his hand and was accompanied by a boy with a very thick Irish accent. It was very clear that Harry and Ron were not sat in that compampartment, but she slid the door open anyway. Both of the boys looked up at her.

"Harry and Ron weren't here, by any chance, where they?"

"No, sorry Katie. But Dean just went down the train. You might find them there." Seamus replied. Katie gave him a quick thank you before leaving to search the other compartments.

Much time passed. Katie had checked all the compartments.

All except one.

Although she knew that Harry and Ron wouldn't be in that compartment, Katie thought it wouldn't hurt to check. Maybe the people in the compartment knew where he was.

With lightly trembling hands, Katie pulled the sliding door open. She was instantly met with a pair of swirling, grey eyes. Inside the compartment sat Pansy, Katie's friend, Crabbe, Goyle, and Draco Malfoy — the one person who she was hoping to steer clear of on the train ride to Hogwarts.

"Hi Katie." Pansy smiled and Katie returned the greeting. Malfoy, Crabbe and Goyle, however, did not seem as excited to see their housemate. Katie decided she better hurry up, ask her question, and get back to Hermione and Ginny.

"Have any of you seen Harry and Ron?" Katie asked apprehensively. Pansy opened her mouth to speak but Draco got there before her.

"No, why?" he demanded. Katie lifted an eyebrow at him.

"Because I can't find them..." she stated as though it were the most obvious thing in the world. Draco's lips curved into a devilish grin.

"It would be a pity if they never got on the train, wouldn't it?" he said, raising his eyebrows, his voice teasing and mischeivious. Katie's stomach lurched and she felt the anger rising within her. She balled her hands into tight fists, which did not go unnoticed by any of the other Slytherins in the carriage.

"What did you do?" Katie growled lowly.

Malfoy leaned back in his seat and crossed his arms comfortably. His daunting smirk did not fade. "Relax, Blair. I haven't done anything."

Despite the fact that Katie didn't fully believe Draco, she turned to leave the compartment.

"Where do you think you're going?" Malfoy pressed. Trying to keep her cool, Katie slowly rounded herself so that she was looking at Draco.

"Back to my friends."

"Aren't we your friends?" Draco said, lifting his arm and gesturing to the others.

"Pansy is my friend." Katie stated coolly.

Malfoy tittered. "Come on Blair, loosen up. Sit down."

Katie gulped. She glanced between the three boys and Pansy with a clenched jaw. She didn't want to stay, but she also wanted to catch up with Pansy, so she decided that she would remain in the carriage for a few minutes.

Minutes turned into an hour, which was gradually ticking on to two hours. Katie had completely lost track of the time.

"Funny, isn't it." Malfoy said suddenly, interrupting the five-way coversation that had been going on in the carriage. Katie cocked her head to the side in confusion.

"I'm sorry?"

Draco leaned forward out of his seat, resting his elbows on his knees, his signature smirk plastered on his pale face.

"It's funny how, one minute, you're all caught up with Potter and those other Gryffindors, but as soon as you're with us, you forget all about them." Malfoy drawled, making sure every word sunk in. Katie heard Pansy gulp harshly beside her.

"That's not — what are you—"

"You're a Slytherin, Blair, and it's about time you accepted it." Malfoy finished. Caught off guard, Katie awkwardly ran her sweaty palms across her thighs and sucked in a shaky breath. Then she stood up.

"I'll be going now," she said, "I need to change into my robes."

With that being said, Katie whisked off down the train and back to Hermione and Ginny. She had half expected Harry and Ron to be there too, so her heart sunk when she saw that they weren't. As soon as Katie stepped into the compartment, Hermione began to scold her.

"Where the hell were you?" she snapped. "You had Ginny and I worried."

"I — uh — IwaswithMalfoy." Katie muttered quickly. Hermione had a faint idea as to what Katie said, but she wanted to hear the words clearly.

"I beg your pardon?"

"I was with Malfoy." Katie said louder and clearer this time, but still speedily. Ginny sunk down into her seat and excluded herself from the conversation.

"Malfoy?" Hermione spat in disgust. "What were you doing with him?"

"I went in to find out if he'd seen Harry and Ron. Then he told me to sit down." Katie explained.

"You could've said no!" Hermione countered harshly.

"I wanted to talk to Pansy. I haven't seen her all summer, Hermione."

"Right, right, I'm sorry." Hermione stepped down with a huff.

***

The train finally stopped at Hogsmede Station. All of the students clambered out onto the platform, but Katie, Hermione and Ginny were in no hurry. As they made their way down the train, they peeked into every carriage to see if Harry or Ron were there. They had no luck.

Upon stepping off the Hogwarts Express, Katie found herself gazing up at the beautiful night sky. It was an exceptionally clear night, so it looked as though the glittering stars were little dots painted on a perfect black canvas.

In the distance, Hogwarts could be seen perched on the cliff by the lake. Many of the windows were lit up from the inside, creating a perfect contrast with the stars that surrounded the castle.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" Hermione said. Katie took in a breath of awe and nodded.

"I hope Harry and Ron are all right." Katie said without breaking her gaze at the sky.

"Firs' years, over 'ear!" a booming voice called out. An excited grin split across Hermione's face and she whirled around.

"Hagrid!"

"Hello 'Ermione, hello Katie. Oh, who's this?" Hagrid said cheerfully, his eyes landing on Ginny, who looked both terrified and intrigued by Hagrid. Her face had gone a ghastly white but her eyes were wide with wonder.

"Hagrid, this is Ginny Weasley." Hermione introduced them.

"Of course!" Hagrid exclaimed. "Sure, you're Ron's little sister. I'm the gamekeeper 'ere, you see. You'll be coming with me."

"See you later, Ginny." Hermione hugged the girl before Ginny turned to Katie.

"Good luck," she smiled and hugged Ginny, "I bet you'll make Gryffindor."