Fire Opal

Hey guys! The long awaited chapter has finally come! Now, this chapter takes place during the time Steven is at the motel with Greg, Ruby, and Sapphire. And it's EXTRA long because, heck, this was a fun chapter to write for multiple reasons you will soon find out! Also, another lovely drawing by the amazing Kiwi. You'll find out soon enough what it means ;P. Anyway, here's the new chapter! :D

-Luna's POV-

After a lot of convincing on Amos and Connie's part, and a lot of explaining on my part, Connie's mom allowed me to stay for the rest of the day, since I wasn't back to full strength yet. After checking my temperature, Connie's mom told me I had to stay on the couch, and move very little. Connie and Amos kept me company by either talking or asking questions. Connie opened the window in the living room so that Astra could poke her head in. Her neck was long enough to rest on the arm rest of the couch, right next to Amos. He scratched her neck, making her coo in delight.

I smirked, "First time ever petting a phoenix?"

He nodded. "When would this ever happen to anybody?" he asked. I shrugged my shoulders in response. Connie nudged my knee, trying to get my attention.

"What's up?" I asked, turning towards her. She sat on the floor, looking at my opened hand where my gem was. "So, if you can heal yourself, why can't you heal yourself from this sickness?"

"I can heal physical injuries. But flues and viruses are something I can't heal. I guess gems don't have to deal with bodily sickness."

"How do the gems look like humans?" Amos asked.

"They use there gem to project an image of themselves. It's a physical form, but if they were to get injured badly in that form, they retreat back into there gem to heal."

"How long does that take?" Connie asked.

"Depends on the gem. For Pearl, she takes her time to heal. I don't know with Garnet or Amethyst, but I guess they would take a shorter time."

"What would happen if you were injured?"

I looked at Amos, surprised he asked the question. "Well, my body is human and real, so I would still get injured all the same," I explained.

"But you can heal yourself?"

I nodded, "But I need to have water nearby in order to heal myself."

Connie raised her hand and I laughed. "Connie, I hope you know we're not in a classroom."

Connie noticed and lowered her hand, realizing her mistake. "Sorry," she said, looking slightly embarrassed. "Anyway, I had a question."

"I may have an answer. Hopefully they match."

Connie smiled and asked, "What would happen if your gem were to break?"

I felt a chill go down my spine as the dream about Jasper and Lapis came back to mind. I looked down at my hand, my gen reflecting the light from the ceiling fan.

"Well," I started. "I......I'm not entirely sure what happens. But....from experience, I'd rather not find out."

"What happened?" Connie asked, now curious.

I swallowed, trying to keep down the feeling of fear and the soup. "It felt.....like my whole self was going to break. And it felt worse than any pain I've felt at all. It really was...scary."

Connie was silent for a moment, not really saying anything. Just then, a knock came from the front door that startled everybody. I started to get up, but Amos placed a hand on my shoulder, not letting me get up any further. "Your still sick," he commented. "And my aunt would be pretty mad if you were moving around."