Baking Out of Comfort

Hey guys! We're back with Luna as her adventures continue in Beach City. What will happen today? Let's jump in and find out! :D

-Luna's POV-

"So...why are we going to the Big Donut?" I asked.

Steven had invited me to go with him to the store. He also wanted me to ask Circo, but when I tried calling him, he didn't pick up. Nor had he looked at any of the messages I sent. He must be checking in on Lapis and Peridot. As well as Onyx, to see if she's reformed yet. Steven smiled at me, "Sadie asked me to come by the store to try something. She encouraged me to bring you and Circo as well. But I guess it'll only be the two of us."

I lifted an eyebrow, "And what is wrong with my company? Am I too boring?"

Steven furrowed his brow, worried, "Th-That's not what I meant! I-"

I burst into laughter, pulling Steven into a side hug. "I'm just kidding, Steven," I said, easing his worries. "I can't remember the last time we just hung out as just us. So it's nice to have this time. I wish the circumstances were better for our friends, but at least we have this time together."

Steven grinned and turned to me. I stopped walking, letting go of Steven as he held up his pinkie finger. He gave me a determined look, "Just so that we both remember, we'll always have each other's back. No matter what happens, we'll always stick together."

I smirked, hooking my pinkie around Steven's. "We've always been together, through thick and thin. let's never leave he other behind."

We both nodded and unhooked our fingers. We walked the rest of the way to the Big Donut. Upon arriving, Steven and I saw Sadie and Lars behind the counter. Sadie was a short, heavy-set girl. She had blonde, curly hair that was currently in a ponytail. She wore the Big Donut uniform: a purple shirt with a half eaten donut, a darker purple, short sleeved shirt underneath, black leggings, and pink-red shoes. She had a small scar on her right cheek. Steven told me it came from an incident that happened a while back with him and Lars. I made a mental note to ask about it later.

Standing next to her was Lars, her friend and coworker. He was the opposite of Sadie. He was tall, slim and lanky. He had orange-brown hair that was short and styled into somewhat of a mohawk. He had plugs in his ear lobes and he also wore the work uniform. Except he had a long, white sleeved shirt underneath his work shirt. Both were a bit older than me by two years, making them eighteen. The two looked up as we walked in. Sadie smiled while Lars' face fell. "Hey guys! You made it!" Sadie said.

"I thought you said only Steven was coming," Lars said quietly, though not quietly enough. I gestured to the front door, "I can leave if you want."

"N-No!" Lars said, holding his hands out. He realized what he was doing and shoved his hands in his pockets. He looked away, saying, "It's fine. Just wasn't expecting more people for the tasting."

"'Tasting?'" I asked. Steven and I looked at Sadie for answers. Instead of answering, she grabbed something from under the counter. As she placed what looked like a pumpkin shaped cake on the counter, she explained, "We need you guys to try out this cake. And let us know what you think."

She grabbed two plastic forks and knives from under the counter. She handed one of each to Steven and I. We each cut a small piece of the cake and ate it. As we did, Sadie asked, "So, how is it?"

"Be honest," Lars said. "But not too honest."

Steven swallowed his piece first, saying excitedly, "It's pumpkin bread! And it's pumpkin shaped, like a pumpkin! This is the best idea anybody has ever had!"

"What he said," I said once I swallowed my food. Sadie turned to Lars, gesturing to us, "See? I told you. It's really good."

"Of course Steven likes it," Lars said. "He likes everything."