Mercury First Birthday

Mercury rolled himself over in bed, too tired to get up but too busy not to. He looked at the clock across the room. It was 4:23 in the morning.

He sighed deeply and ran a numb hand through his hair, untangling it and pulling out each knot.

Boredom took over, and he did nothing but sigh again and throw his hand down.

Why had he woken up so early? What was on his mind?

You lay in your crib, sleeping softly and breathing deeply. Mercury could only imagine what you were dreaming of as he watched your closed eyes move under your eyelids.

His first instinct was to hold you and make sure you were alright, but he decided against that idea.

His mind came pouring back into his head. He suddenly became aware. He was alone. In the dark. At 4:30 in the morning.

It was silent, yes, but he had never heard a silence quite this loud. The clock on the wall disturbed him with its steady clicking, like a metronome. Then, he stood up, and the pad of his feet led him to the bathroom to bathe.

***

Mercury sighed and looked through your clothes as he decided what to dress you up in on your very special day. It was written on his calendar, Torchwicks calendar, Neo's calendar, and the one in the living space. His phone was packed with alarms.

Here's a little secret about our little iron boi: he's secretly kawaii and excited, despite his face that he puts on.

So, it was natural for the new and excited father to be hyped.

And anyone that said that he was being dramatic had a sweet little swift kick to the throat.

He shook his head. All he could find were sweatpants and t-shirts!!! He had to make you dressed up though!! You know, with a little pink dress, your (H/C) hair up in little pigtails.

Unfortunately, that wasn't going to happen. Due to Mercury's lack of money and missions, there was no way possible. And besides, Cinder, Neo, Torchwick and Emerald had left for a mission. A murder mission.

So with that he pulled out the 10 he had in his pocket and crumpled it in anger. his baby's first birthday, and all he had was a 10.

Finally, he turned on the lights, waking a sleeping (Y/N), who then cried out in discomfort of her sudden and rude awakening. Mercury chuckled.

"What is it darling? Hm?" His voice was unusually sweet, and instead of arrogant and cocky, he was affectionate, and he laid your head under his chin to comb out the tangles in your hair. Your cried ceased.

He was reminded of your clothing, not fit for a princess on this day, and began to change you. You, however, didn't mind such clothing, as it was comfortable. He then slid on your shoes and left the hideout.

Now, at 3:56 pm, he sat on a roundabout with you, spinning and dragging his feet to slow it down, speed it up, and change direction. Your giggles we're almost hypnotic to the new mother's, who gushed over you.

Mercury had enough, and dragged you to a cake shop.

***

You looked at the cupcake in wonder. You've only had 2 of these before, and how delicious they were! Mercury closed his eyes with regret, and lit the candle. His voice was the only one that sung, though you clapped and kicked to try and get the sweet frosting from the cake onto your hands. And eventually, Mercury let you.

He turned away as you ate it hungrily and messily. A tear rolled past his cheeks, followed by a few more, until he was sniffling softly. He was ashamed. Ashamed of his weak party for you. Ashamed of your clothes not being dresses and lacey and frilly. Ashamed of not having a present. But your words snapped him out of it.

"Daaaaaaadddyyyyyyy!" You called. He turned around and smiled with ref eyes and a pink nose. "Yeah, (Y/N)?"

You recognized that voice. It was the same voice that called out while you laid next to him at night as he cling to you, or the one that begged Cinder to not kill you for being a distraction. It was the broken one.

You tried your call once more. "Daaaaaaadddyyyyyyy!!!"

He lifted you out of the seat, and began crying again as he held you. "I'm sorry babygirl." He cooed. "Happy birthday Tiny!"

You hugged his neck and smiled, icing smearing on the back of his neck.

He smiled gently and wiped his eyes.

It didn't matter if there wasn't a present or a good cake or even a dress. He was there. You were all he needed and he was all you needed. Money, clothing, presents, cake, none of that changed the fact that he was your first hero, and he vowed to make sure to stay that way for the rest of your life..

However long that may be.

⚙️⚙️⚙️⚙️⚙️⚙️⚙️⚙️⚙️⚙️⚙️⚙️⚙️⚙️
Hey roses...sorry it's been forever...it seems like I've been doing nothing but apologizing on these chapters now...I'm not doing so good... So please pray or keep me in your mind. But I made a chapter, sad as it is😅the next one will be happy I promise!!! Thanks for being patient with me...❤️❤️

Btw I forgot what I was supposed to do after 1st birthday so if anyone remembers or anything please message me or comment cause I don't know anything anymore lol.