Chapter 2: Blind Power

Jennie’s POV

“Stairs.” My best friend stated. The plane just landed and we were going out of it. I didn’t let anyone else assist me other than my best friend because I may be blind but I don’t need no wheelchair or stick or additional assistant that will later gossip about me. Chaeng was enough help already, and also I have other senses that I can use so why bother?

Chaeng and I were inseparable since we were kids and before this tragedy happened, we were in New Zealand living our precious lives to the fullest until I was called out to come back to Korea as for papa’s wish.

We continued walking inside the airport for I don’t know how long. It was really hard having less than 1⁄10 of normal vision. I am simply born with this condition, sight-less they call. Sometimes, my condition annoys me too much because, well, my eyes were useless, just a display or some sort like that, but my other senses was not of normal. I have super hearing, way better than those of what the dogs have. My sense of feel was enhanced. I feel things double than usual. I can also read minds if I’m able to touch the certain being, person or animal, name it and I will know what’s the recent thoughts they have. It’s annoying to hear every humans problem since I can’t help myself not to give them support or money if they need it. I can also hear non-human’s thoughts but it’s kind of hard due to the fact that some knew how to block it.

“Sit down here first. I will go find them and I’ll come back to fetch you, okay?” Chaeng instructed. I nodded my head in understanding.

Some might wonder if I’m mute but don’t worry, I’m not. It will be bad on my part if I’m blind and mute at the same time. But in spite of the fact that I can’t see, I’m not going to whine, sulk, complain or even hate the universe for it because I have these lovely people around me who was willing to help me whole-heartedly.

“JENNIE!!!!” I heard a woman’s voice so I smiled, my gummy smile. I know exactly who this woman was even if I don’t see her face. “Ohhh sweetheart, I missed you.” She pulled me into a tight hug so I hugged her back.

“I missed you too Cassandra... and you as well Thomas,” I smirked while looking at his direction. I can hear him breathing from few steps behind me. Every time he saw a chance, he will attempt to sneak up on me. “I’m blind but I can see right through you.” I proudly grinned and he clapped his hands like always.

“You really never fail to impress me Jennie,” Thomas laughed then he embraced me too. “We’re very happy to have you both back despite the situation… Let’s go home so you can rest.” He added so Chaeng held my hand and guided me to walk again.

We entered Thomas car and the smell of it refreshed my body, it was always minty lemon. The smell I’m liking very much.

“What happened to my parents?” I questioned as soon as I’m sure that they were all settled inside. I heard Chaeng’s parents took deep breaths. I don’t really know what happened and how they died since all that I received was the last will and testament of my father telling me to come back home and manage everything we have.

“They were killed in an unusual way and the police doesn’t have any lead yet.” Thomas answered. I can feel that the two women inside the car were looking at me with sadness, worry and sympathy.

“Have you seen their bodies? Can you describe how they died? Or even the condition of their bodies when they were found.” I bravely inquired. Call me weird but I can picture everything in my head. My tears were already dried so I don’t have anything to cry at the moment besides, I needed to be strong for myself and one way or another I’ll find them justice.

“All we know is that your house was full of leaves, broken twigs were scattered around and vines were wrapped around their necks that made them choke to death,” Cassandra explained. There was a brief silent before she continued, “and according to the police, the skin of Sasha and Lucas were dried almost like rotting when they saw them.”

‘Hmmm... I see… so they really want to take all the power in this world for themselves.’ I thought.

“OH MY GAAAAD! THAT’S HORRIBLE! ONLY A HEARTLESS MONSTER CAN DO THAT!” Chaeng shouted then she held my hand, trying to comfort me even though, I think she needed it more. Her heart was beating so fast that I’m afraid it might jump out of her chest.

I know the way my parents died might be weird for normal human beings like Chaeng and her parents but for us, people with special powers, it’s not. Now that my father was gone, I am the last of my kind or what they call special blind and for an unclear reason, when my father was still alive, he always told me that if he died, I should do my best to stay alive however, right now I don’t know if I can since I want to find out who did this to my parents… I want justice for them. I already know which clan but I need to make sure before I do some actions and I know exactly who to talk about this matter.

“Thomas, can you stop the car?” I inquired, well, it sounded more like a demand since the car immediately hovered to the side and halted.

“Why Ruby? Where are we going?” Chaeng questioned. I can hear the worry, panic and curiosity in her voice. She’s always with me wherever I go but not today.

“I’m sorry Chaeng but you can’t come with me,” I’m ready to open the car door but I stopped since I can sense that they were waiting for some explanation. “I need to talk to someone about important matter so I’m going to uptown.” I explained my unplanned plan.

“NO WAY! NO WAY IN THIS WORLD THAT I WILL LET YOU GO THERE ALONE! YOU KNOW HOW DANGEROUS PEOPLE THERE!” Chaeng practically yelled; I was about to say something but she cut me off. “No Ruby! Don’t you dare argue with me on this one,” She strongly growled at me. Angry Park Chaeyoung was so hot but deym scary. “And if you are going to that scary place then I’m coming with you or else you are not allowed to go.” I touched her chubby cheek, I can hear every thought running inside her mind, she’s scared but determined to come with me. I really love this side of Chaeng, still soft but fearless.

“Okay then. You’ll come with me but don’t ever let go of my hand, not even for a second,” I warned. “Promise me.” I lifted my pinky.

“I promise.” She sworn then we made a pinky swear.

Someone cleared its throat. “I know, we can’t stop the both of you, but please don’t lose each other while in there… even if it’s still daytime those bad people are still lurking around.” Thomas uttered.

“I get it dad. See you later!” Chaeng bid then we went out of Thomas car and hailed a taxi to go uptown.