Chapter 20: Surprises

▪Time skip▪

Chaeyoung’s POV

The rays of sun passing through the curtain woke me up. I slowly opened my eyes and stretched my arms. Today was Saturday, my birthday!! Happy Birthday to me!

*knock knock*

“Chaeng, are you awake?” A faint angelic voice asked from the other side of the closed door.

“Yes!” I shortly replied as I sat on the edge of the bed, rubbing my eyes to fully wake me up.

“Breakfast’s ready. We’ll wait for you at the dining room.” Ruby said then I heard her footsteps fade away.

I stood up and walked to the bathroom. I still can’t believe how beautiful and big this mansion even though we’ve been here for a month. Why do time flies so fast? Today was the last day of our friends’ stay because later in the afternoon they’ll be going back to New Zealand. After I took a shower, I decided to wear the red pouf dress that my mom gave me as an early gift yesterday. She gave it in advance since she said that they’ll be busy today. My mom really knew what I want, this dress was simple yet elegant. I dried my hair and curled it a little bit then put on some light make up before I went out of the room however, when I reached the dining room, there’s no one inside.

“RUBY?!” I yelled while looking around. She said they’ll be waiting, right? Or am I mistaken? “TAE? KOOKIE? MOMO?!!” I shouted. “Where are they?” I roamed my eyes, I noticed an arrow pasted on the wall, pointing towards the back door so I made my way there.

As soon as I opened the door, party poppers exploded. “SURPRISE!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!” Everyone greeted in unison. My tears started flowing out of my eyes.

“Thank you guys~” I wiped my tears. All my family, friends and relatives were here. I’m so overwhelmed.

“Happy Birthday Kid.” My dad hugged me and kissed my crown.

“Dad! I’m not a kid anymore~” I whined and pouted my lips.

“Then stop crying you big baby.” He teased then helped me wipe my tears using his thumbs.

“Happy Birthday Chae!!” My three friends embraced me as well.

“Thank you. Did you prepare all of this?” I asked, pointing around. There were balloons tied everywhere, tables and chairs for the guests, and a catering service.

“We just helped. It’s Jane’s idea.” Momo replied.

“You know you don’t have to do this Ruby but thank you so much.” I hugged her tightly. I really love her like my real older sister and she’s giving me everything even though I can’t do anything for her.

“I’m glad you like it Chaeng,” Ruby gently patted my back. “And all of this is nothing compared to the time and dedication you are giving me every day so, don’t ever think that you are not doing anything for me because you are such a big help.” I knew it she read my mind again. “I love you Chaeng.” She pulled away and smiled.

“I love you too Ruby.” I grinned, ear to ear.

“Oh my two lovely daughters~” My mom hugged the both of us.

“EVERYONE PLEASE ENJOY THE PARTY!” I happily shouted and everyone started getting their foods.

I introduced Tae, Kookie and Momo to my childhood friends here in Korea. Some of them were my grade school classmates and some were our high school friends.

My mom walked to me and said, “Sweetheart, kindly call your cousins and tell them to go back. We’ll go inside first with Jennie.” Then some adults walked with her together with Ruby.

“Please excuse me, I’m just going to check on my cousins.” I excused myself from my friends and made my way towards the kids who were playing in the garden’s maze that was connected to the forest.

*trees whooshing* *wind blowing* *leaves rustling*

‘Great, I’m going to die on my birthday.’ My body shivered upon hearing those sounds.

Pst, miss,” Someone cat-called but I shrugged it off and continued walking, “It’s me, Jisoo.” My feet immediately stopped.

“Don’t creep me out like that!” I scolded. “Where are you?” I asked as I gazed my eyes around.

“I don’t have shades on, and I just dropped by to give you a little present.” She responded.

“How’d you know it’s my birthday?” I inquired curiously.

“I have my ways,” She answered. There was a hint of smugness in her voice. “You are important to me so it’s just appropriate that I know these things about you.” She bravely added. I didn’t even know that it made me smile like an idiot. Deym it, what’s happening to me?

Some vines started moving towards me and it was holding a small box wrapped in a black and pink gift wrapper.

“Thank you for this.” I grabbed the box as soon as it stopped in front of me.

“Sorry that’s all I got you. Happy Birthday Rosé.” She sweetly uttered. “I have to go now.” The trees started making noise again.

“THANK YOU AGAIN!!” I shouted, gratefully before walking towards the maze, called my cousins and went back to the mansion.

“And who made our birthday girl smile like that?” Momo questioned when I reached them, elbowing my arm.

Ruby joined us as well and patted my shoulder before saying, “I think I know who.” with a grin on her face.

“Who?” Tae and Kookie inquired in unison.

“Someone named Jisoo.” Ruby stated. Geez. I really can’t hide anything to this girl.

“She gave me present!” I happily announced while showing them the box with red rose on the top.

Recently, someone, if I can recall correctly, her name’s Irene, was giving me the same roses every day. She told me that she was just a delivery girl and the roses were from Jisoo. At first, I thought she was stalking me and threatened her that I will call the police. Yeah, it was embarrassing but it was a normal reaction if someone was tailing you for more than ten minutes.

“She’s here? Why didn’t you introduce her to us?” Tae scoffed, squinting his eyes. “Are you hiding your suitor to us? That’s not very good of you Chae.” He clicked his tongue and shook his head playfully.

“No, it’s not that and she’s not my suitor... Besides she just gave this to me and left in hurry.” I answered. I’m a bit sad that we haven’t got a chance to talk longer but as what Irene said to me, Jisoo’s doing something really important so I understand.

“Hmmm... look at you blushing and daydreaming. Yiieee~ The baby of our group is in lo—!!!” Jungkook yelled excitedly but I quickly covered his mouth before my parents hear that word. Geez. I’m not ready yet.

“Yaaaa~ Stop!” I shushed him and he nodded his head. Good boy. “I’m just happy that she knows and she even made time just to give me present.” I clarified. That was the only reason why my heart’s beating so fast. Nothing more and nothing less. There’s no one that can ruin my good mood today due to the fact that I’m really happy.

‘What are you doing to me Jisoo?’