Chapter 28: I hope she's fine

Chaeyoung’s POV

I’m currently here in Niña, the newscaster’s café, drinking the best chocolate milk I have ever tasted, trying to relax my mind. What a small world we really have! Who would have thought that Lucy was that blonde’s mother? And speaking of that blonde, she apologized to me and I saw the sincerity on her face. Now, I’m not sure whether she’s really kind or just faking it. Geez. Why am I suddenly regretting going back here in Korea? All these things gave me headache. I just wanted peace but I think the word ‘peace’ was not in my vocabulary anymore.

I dialed dad’s number to check on Ruby’s whereabouts. I miss her and I needed someone to talk to before I go crazy.

*kriiing kriiing*

“Hello Chaeyoung.” Mom greeted. I can hear the sounds of cars from her background indicating that dad’s driving.

“Hi mom. Just want to know where is Ruby?” I questioned as I walked towards my car that was parked across the street.

“She was already at the house of the blinds. Your mom and I are on our way to work now. We’ll see you later.” Dad chimed then the call ended. My parents work on the border of North and South Korea, it was an hour drive from our house depending on the traffic. Ruby offered them a job at the Kim’s company since it will be convenient for the both of them but for unknown reason, they turned down the offer.

I reached my car however before I can open the door, I heard my name being called, “Chaeyoung? Are you perhaps Ms. Park Chaeyoung?” A pale girl inquired so I flashed her a ‘Do I know you?’ look. “Oh sorry, I’m Dahyun. Ms. Kim Jennie favored me to look for you. She’s currently in the hospital.”

I didn’t even think twice and didn’t bother doubting her words. “Which hospital?! What happened to her?! Is she okay?!” I bombarded her questions. Looking at her, I realized that her eyes were both brown meaning she’s not a human. I’m not sure if she has powers because I’m staring at her and she’s not wearing shades yet nothing happen.

“Calm down. She’s fine but her friend was unconscious. They are in Z hospital.” She informed. I don’t have any idea about the location since it was the first time I heard of the hospital’s name.

“Uhm, I haven’t heard of the hospital you are talking about, so, uhm, can you go with me?” I favored politely.

She stared at me, intensely, for a few seconds before grinning widely. “Of course.” We went inside my car and I started driving.

“You are not a human, right?” I inquired, shyly, because it was a question that was not usually asked around but it didn’t offend her since she started laughing.

“Never heard anyone asking something like that so directly... but yeah, I’m no human, don’t worry, I’m harmless one.” Dahyun smiled, her brightest smile. “You are beautiful Ms. Park. I’m pretty sure you are madam’s type.” I was aware that she was staring at me.

With a blushing face, I uttered, “Drop the formality, you can call me Chaeyoung.”

“Okay then you should call me Dahyun in return… Turn left there,” She pointed so I quickly signaled then waited for the other cars to passed by before turning left. I’ve been more vigilant now since I don’t want to cause any accident again. “straight ahead then turn left at the third street.”

We arrived at the hospital so I parked my car and hurriedly went out. I pressed my car key to lock the doors before we walked inside the building. I was trailing behind Dahyun until we arrived at the room with number nine on the door.

“They are inside.” The pale girl gestured me to go in.  I said my thank you then she left. Without knocking on the door in front of me, I entered the room.

“Ruby!” I ran towards her and embraced her. “What happened?” I asked, looking at Kai who was sleeping on the bed.

“Chaeng, the green eyes did this.” Ruby held Kai’s hand again. It was something not shocking anymore. Those freaks really got the nerve to do such thing.

“Who’s that Dahyun? She was like the palest being I’ve ever seen and how did you manage to survive if the green eyes did this?” I questioned.

“Jisoo—” As soon as the name was molded out of her mouth, thoughts started a war inside my head.

“Did Jisoo—” I was about to ask whether Jisoo was behind this but as the saying goes ‘Karma is a bitch’. Ruby cut me off as well.

“Geez. Relax Chaeng! Jisoo helped us.” The last part relieved my tensed mind. Somehow, I thought Jisoo had gone mad and decided to do bad things. Thankfully, it was the other way around.

“I’m really glad you are well, Ruby,” I embraced her one more time. “Let me guess, Kai protected you.” I looked at his face. It was unrecognizable, whoever beat him must be really mad at this world.

“That green-eye, he tried extorting all my money and properties… I declined his offer so they beat Kai in return… I was so scared for his life and about to sign the transfer papers, thankfully Jisoo barged in.” Ruby explained while looking at my direction. I can see that she’s hesitating whether to tell me more about it or if I already heard enough but of course, my curiosity will not backed down any time soon.

“Spill the beans,” I urged, making her take a deep breath.

“That Sehun wanted to replace Jisoo and rule the green-eyed people…” Ruby paused, so I hummed, signaling her that it’s fine to continue. “His plan is to end Jisoo’s life.”

Wait… “W-what?!” I shouted but not too loud. “Is she okay when you left?” To be honest, it made me worried.

“I’m sorry Chaeng. She asked Joy to help us out of the room then Joy told Dahyun to send us to the hospital so I don’t have any idea what happened next.” Ruby explained.

“I hope she’s fine.” I slumped my body on the couch.

“Let’s stay positive… If it wasn’t for her, we might be dead. That Sehun doesn’t have conscience. I saw everything he did. HE WAS A MONSTER.” Ruby ranted in disbelief. I wasn’t paying much attention to her because my mind was on something else or rather someone else. I hope nothing bad happened to her.

*knock knock*

Someone knocked on the door. I quickly stood up to check who it was. “Oh hello doc.” I greeted as I opened the door widely to let him in.

He walked towards Kai and said, “I’m just going to run some test on him.” then went on checking Kai’s vital signs and whatnot.

“When will he wake up?” Ruby inquired, worry was written all over her face.

“Sorry but I’m not sure about that. We just have to wait,” The doctor replied. “please excuse me.” then I walked him to the door and thank him before closing it behind him.

“I should have gave everything to that green-eye.” Ruby started crying. Kai’s hand was pressed against her cheeks.

“Don’t say that Ruby. You know what will happen to all the blinds if you did that. Kai will be fine.” I tried uplifting the mood. I’m sure that Sehun will not spare any blind human if he got a hold of all Ruby’s properties. Thankfully, Jisoo saved them before everything turn into nerve-wrecking disaster.