Chapter 10: Two Paths

Lalisa’s POV

I woke up with Lewis licking my cheek. “Mmmmm~ stop Lewis…” I slightly pushed him away with my eyes still close.

“Meow~ meow~” He jumped on my back since I was lying on my stomach. I haven’t got enough rest last night. That blind girl kept bothering my mind. There’s this weird feeling between us but at the same time, I felt my anger awakening inside me. It’s like a push and pull, love and hate kind of thing. Not that I love her, but it was hard to explain.

When I looked at the time, I noticed that it was past one in the afternoon. Geez. I overslept. Lewis jumped off my back as I stood up and went to the bathroom to do my not-so-morning routine. After, I wore my black attire and chose to wear my red running shoes, I walked towards the mirror and combed my fully blonde hair. When I was eight years old, my father said that once my hair turned yellowish gold that means I’ll be needing the guardian to prepare myself for something or else I’ll be a horrible news to this world. Now that he’s gone, he can’t protect me anymore and I know I really need to seek help however, until now I don’t know what to do, and I don’t even have the slightest idea who’s the guardian he was talking about because he hid me all these years.

“Meow~” Lewis ran out of the window. It’s the first time he did that so I went after him.

“Hey! Where do you think you’re going Lewis?! Come back here!” I ordered but he just looked at me like he’s telling me to follow him and weirdly, I did.

“Where are you going baby girl?” Lucy asked as soon as I made my way to the living room.

“Lewis went out. I need to catch him,” I explained as I grabbed my jacket from the coat rack. “See you later Lucy!” I waved her goodbye before closing the door behind me.

“Meow~” Lewis jumped over the gate.

“Where are you going?” I questioned and again, he just looked at me for a brief second before he continued running.

After the longest marathon I ran in my twenty-three years of existence in this cruel and unfair world, I ended up following Lewis to uptown fork-shape intersection, the habitat of all non-humans.

“Seriously, what are we doing here Lewis?” I asked and he just looked at me again. Geez. What’s wrong with this cat? And what’s wrong with me? Of course, he will not answer. He’s a deym cat. I kept following my Manx cat like a lost puppy until he made his stop in front of a black and pink building at the center of uptown. He looked at me and pointed his paw towards the entrance. We started walking inside the building. It was deserted, not a single soul in sight. I watched Lewis as he sat on the letter ‘Z’ that was imprinted on the floor. He tapped his paw, telling me to stand on it too.

“Meow~” He pointed his paw towards the counter, I searched for something, anything, and saw a red button so I pushed it then he pointed on the lever which I pulled down. The countertop split into two and a weird stone thing that looked like a sundial was lifted up. I counted how many turns Lewis did before I turned the thing five times, clockwise. The floor started lifting us so I carried Lewis onto my arms.

“What is this Lewis?” I questioned, looking at my cat. He just tilted his head and looked forward like he was waiting for something. Everything suddenly stopped moving for few seconds before the wall started shaking uncontrollably. ‘This is the weirdest building I have ever seen in my entire life.’ I thought to myself.

*beep* *beep* *beep*

“Welcome to my building. How can I help you?” A lady wearing a white long gown with a touch of red on the sides, and a hair that was color blue-green, suddenly popped in front of me.

“Sorry to barged in but my cat led me here.” I explained that made her looked at the cat I’m holding.

“Oh! What a nice surprise… It’s you, long time no see Lewis,” She caressed my cat’s head. “I see that you took your time.” She said that as she smiled at me.

“How did you know his name?” I curiously asked with a furrowed eyebrow.

“I helped your grandfather immortalizing Lewis,” The girl answered, tapped my head then turned around. “By the way, my name is Zaldy. Please come in.”

‘Wait, where did that glass door came from? It’s not there earlier. Argh! This is really creeping me out.’ I thought to myself.

“The time has come.” The girl blurted out as she put a glass of orange juice on the table.

“What do you mean?” I flashed her a questioning look. First of all, she’s weird and second, did I already said she’s weird?

“Your hair already turned blonde, and I believe Charlie told you that it’s a bad thing,” Zaldy sat on the floating chair. “Please have a seat.” She gestured at the floating pink couch in front of her so I sat down.

“What am I doing here and who are you exactly?” I inquired. This was such a waste of time. Why am I here instead of looking for some money?

“Charlie told you that you should look for the guardian, isn’t it?” She looked at me so I nodded. “I am who you are seeking, the guardian…” I stared at her like what she said was out of this world. How can she be the guardian? She was too young. “Let me go straight to the point, there are two paths written on the prophecy for you; one is that you are able to gain control of your own body, and the other is that the anger inside you outburst and erase all the blind people in this world.” Zaldy informed, emphasizing the last part. As she said those words, the color of her hair changed into white. The way it changed was so cool.

“What do you mean control? I’m in control of my own body and, and when you say all the blind people? Does that include the last special blind? Please enlighten me to what reason I have to be angry to blind people?” I bombarded her questions. I felt concerned about that particular girl and I don’t even know why. I’m baffled.

“Your hair, every strand of it stored your blue-eyed ancestors’ souls and that includes the hatred they were feeling. Unlike those normal blue eyes that’s alive right now, your anger level was way too intense and because of that you will not have any control over your body when you get angry, well, not until you really owned that body of yours... The ocean-eyed despise the blinds because they were born with a silver spoon in their mouth and yes, actually that special blind, she tops the chart. If the last special blind dies, every blind of any kind will vanish along with her,” Zaldy answered. “That’s all I know; I can’t see the future of the aboriginals for it was forbidden even for me.”

“Aboriginals? What does that mean?” I questioned.

“It means the first kind. You are a daughter of a human and a powerful non-human that makes you the ruler of your clan but you are no ordinary ruler.” She elaborated.

“You must be mistaken. Charlie told me that we are just a typical blue eye, I’m not special.” I defended. I can’t be the ruler and I can’t be a killer.

“Charlie hid the truth… he did that because he’s afraid of losing you in the process of removing thousands of souls inside your body but… if you don’t believe me then there will be no more blind people in the next generations.” She stared at me. It was so intense that I felt like she was staring at my soul.

“Is it that nice? There will be no more blind people. They will not suffer any—” I stopped immediately as I realized what I just said. Argh! This mouth of mine.

Zaldy heaved a deep sigh, disappointment flashed on her face but it was so brief that I was not even sure if my eyes just played tricks on me. “Everyone has a part to contribute in this world… What do you think will happen if one portion of the population disappeared?” She inquired but I stayed silent. “I know you are confuse… Come back here tomorrow. Bid your goodbye to Lucy for the meantime because you’ll be needing to stay here with me until further instruction.” I shrugged it off and went out. I’m going home.

‘What the— why would I stay in a stranger’s place? What does she think of me?’