long distance.

...

"distance gives us a reason to love harder"

...

Kaycee jolted up in her bed, untangling herself from the sheets as she swung her feet over the edge of the bed - her eyes squinting as the phone shone brightly in her face. Swiping her fingers against her eyelids, she pressed the distorted green button. "Hi." She squeaked, Sean's face filling her screen.

"I'm sorry, I forgot I'm two hours ahead, it's five am here - still dark." Sean smiled apologetically, raising his eyebrow as he caught her drifting off.  "I can call back when it's later for you."

"No, I'm awake." Bringing the camera to her eyes. "See, my eyes are wide open!"

The two continued to converse for the next hour, sharing about how their previous day went, the classes they took, the students they met. One particular thing making it's way into the conversation every few minutes.

"Sean?" Kaycee murmured as she propped her phone against the lamp, the bright light not affecting her anymore. "Do you think we'll ever see each other in person?"

He stared into the camera, his chestnut hair falling into his eyes as he pondered over her question. "I would hope so."

"I don't know how much longer I can go without being able to touch you, to kiss you, to be with you... I wish you were here." Kaycee croaked, biting down on her lip to stop herself from crying.

"I want so badly to be with you too, baby." Sean smiled sadly, running his hands threw his hair as he watched tears fill her eyes. "You know we both can't financially afford to travel right now."

Tears soon came rolling down her cheeks, burying her face into the pillow beside her. "Babe, please don't cry."

"I'm sorry, It's just hard." Kaycee whimpered into the pillow, small hiccups leaving her lips as she lifted her face to the screen.

"I know, it's hard for me too." Sean said, propping his head on his hands - inhaling a shaky breath as he tried to keep himself composed. "My family asks about you all the time, they all want to meet you so badly - especially my sisters, they are concerned on why you would date me." Kaycee's lips curled upwards, her hazel eyes lighting up as she laughed.

"You would love my mom... she's so gentle and kind, she reminds me of you." Sean whispered, watching as the smile on her face grew wider. "My family would love you."

"God, I love you." Kaycee giggled, pressing her lips to the camera, watching as he did the same. "I love you too." Sean laughed, wiping the blurry camera with his sleeve.

"Kayc, I need you to something for me." Sean smiled sheepishly, his phone tumbling around as he pushed himself out of bed. "I need you to go outside."

"Sean, it's freezing outside!" Kaycee whined, throwing on her sweatshirt before opening the door to her balcony - shivering as snow began to coat the railing. "Now what?"

"I want you to look up."

Kaycee looked up, snow was dancing in the air blending in with glistening stars. The darkness cowered over her like a thick blanket, speckles of white standing out as she continued to gaze out, forgetting her boyfriend was still on the phone. "Sean?"

"Even though we are miles apart, we at least are under the same sky."

Kaycee couldn't keep the smile from dancing on her lips as she took another look at the night sky, this time with different set of eyes. "I never thought of it that way."

"One day, we will be looking at the same stars."

"Promise?" Kaycee whispers, her eyes glued to the grin on his face.

Sean flipped his camera over to the sky. "I promise one day, this view will be yours... I will be yours."

Kaycee's cheeks were wet with tears, her teeth clenching down on her bottom lip as small whimpers left her mouth. Sean's face came back to the screen, a sad smile on his lips. "Angel, why are you crying?"

"Because this is the first time that I felt like you were here with me."

Now it was Sean's turn to start crying. "I know we're hundreds of miles apart, but not tonight." Kaycee continued, resting her hands against the railing as she watched her breath slip away from her.

"Tonight, I see you." She pursed her lips together as she gazed up at the moon. "I see you in the moon, the stars, the snow that's sticking to my car in the driveway." Kaycee chuckles, swiping away a tear with her fingers.

"I finally see you."

...

ew i literally suck at endings especially this one. this is extremely short and something i wrote when i was in my feels bc i am, in my feels. so you know don't attack me for this shitty thing i whipped up in less than an hour :,)

dedicated to the person who thinks i'm writing about them...

i am

- kami 🌻