Chapter 4

That Sunday afternoon, Lea and Bri were getting ready for their choir concert together. They put on their makeup and lipstick, and slipped into gorgeous choir dresses—long, black, flowy dresses with short sleeves and matching, black, flat dress shoes. Then, Bri curled her hair, and helped Lea do the same with hers.

"You look really pretty, Bri," said Lea.

"Aww, so do you, Sweetie," said Bri, "like a princess. So, you ready for your big solo?"

Lea grinned. "Yep. I've been practicing up the wazoo. I just hope Ivan's there to see it."

"Even after the way he treated you?"

"I still love him... and... maybe he'll change. I mean, he never used to be like that. It's only recently he's been doing that, and we've been dating for two years."

"Yeah. I guess I'm just protective of you, because I've seen you get hurt too many times. And, you deserve better."

"Thanks."

"But, I'll pray that he does come around, and I hope he does show up today. I know that would mean a lot to you. But, if not, Damian's videotaping the whole thing."

"Good."

"Ready?"

"Yep, I'm ready."

"Okay, let's go."

Bri and Lea walked downstairs, and found Damian in the living room, watching TV.

"You guys ready?" he asked.

"Yep," said Bri.

The three of them headed out to the car, and arrived at the theater in time to warm up with the choir.

"I'm gonna go find a seat," said Damian.

"Okay, Honey," said Bri. "Got the camera?"

"Yep, right here." Damian kissed Bri. "Break a leg, Sweetie, not literally."

Bri and Lea snickered.

"Love you, Damo," Bri said in a cutesy baby voice.

Soon, it was showtime, and Lea held onto Bri's arm as they walked out onstage with the rest of the choir. Then, the audience applauded as the choir director came out.

There was no specific theme to this concert. Their concerts usually never had a real theme. It was always a mix of different styles of choral music. They performed everything from hymns to Broadway show tunes to modern compositions.

Then, it was finally time for Lea's solo. She wasn't even nervous, because she knew it like the back of her hand. She sang her heart out with confidence and so much joy as the rest of the choir sang backup, and when the song finished, the audience cheered loudly for her. She smiled at them, and mouth the words "thank you."

At the end of the show, the choir received a standing ovation. It was a complete success. Afterwards, people kept coming up to Lea to compliment her on her performance, and she gracefully smiled and accepted their praise. She was so happy, until she realized Ivan wasn't there.