Chapter 70

Sméagol hurried outside to a nearby field, and hid in a grove of bushes.

"Why did you promise her that?!" Gollum growled. "Why would you tell her we won't look for the Precious anymore?!"

"Because, we won't," Sméagol replied.

"And, why not, Precious?! You knows we needs it!"

"No, we doesn't."

"Why does it say that?"

"Because, it's not important to us anymore."

"But, we needs it!"

"Well, I don't!"

"She doesn't have to know. We can go look for it now while she's asleep."

"No!" Sméagol shouted. "I don't wants it anymore!"

"But, I do! It's ours! Gollum! Gollum! We been looking for it for too long to stop now!"

"Oh, shut up! Does it not remember everything we went through because of it?! The pain, the hurt?! We were alone, alone! Now, we finally finds people who loves us, and you throws it away again!" Sméagol tried not to cry. "You are unbelievable! How can it be so selfish?! Our baby is lying in there, sick! She could die, and all you cares about is the stupid Precious, the same piece of rubbish that made us kill Déagol, and almost made us kill Master, the only friend we had! We don't needs it! We needs Lea!" He sighed heavily. "What is wrong with you? Why can't you see that?"

Gollum suddenly felt a wave of unbearable guilt and sadness.

"I'm sorry, Gollum."

"No," Gollum said sweetly. "You're right. All I cared about was the Precious. I wanted the power, because I had nothing else. No purpose, no friends, nothing. All I knew was darkness. I caused you so much pain, pain you did not deserve. I'm so sorry, Sméagol." He wiped tears from his eyes. "So, I will leave, and never come back."

Sméagol was shocked. "What?"

"All I do is hurt people. I can't fight the Precious. It will always be a part of me."

"You have to try."

"I can't. I'm not strong enough. But, you are, my love, my friend. You are strong enough to fight against it."

"You can't go. Lea needs us."

"No, she needs you. If I stay, I know we will hurt her again, and I will hurt you again. So, you are free now, my precious."

Sméagol began to feel very sad. "Please don't go. You're my friend now. I love you."

"And, I love you, but I must go. Please take good care of our baby, and tell her that I am so sorry for what I put her through. Tell her she will never have to worry about it again. Give her the biggest, fluffiest sweater hug." Gollum began to cry. "And, tell her that I love her more than anything, more than the Precious."

"Gollum..."

"Goodbye, my precious, my love."

Sméagol's heart sank as he felt Gollum's spirit leaving his body. He looked to the sky, hoping he could see Gollum floating away, but he couldn't see anything. Gollum was gone. He fell to his knees, sobbing his heart out.