Chapter 85

One afternoon, Bri was hanging the last few posters around town when she heard a familiar voice calling after her.

"Bri?"

She turned around to see that it was Val. She rolled her eyes without saying anything as she continued working.

"What are you doing?" Val asked.

Bri ignored her.

Val read the poster. "Lea's having a concert next Friday?"

Bri continued ignoring her, hoping she would leave.

"How is she?"

Bri finally turned around, and gave her a very dirty look. "What do you care?" she said coldly. "Didn't you say you wanted her dead?"

Val didn't answer.

"Well, guess what. The doctor says she's only got a couple months left to live, so congratulations. It looks like you'll finally get your wish. Now, if you'll excuse me, I have work to do. So, please do me a huge favor, and fuck off." Bri tried not to cry as she turned away from Val, and continued hanging posters.

Val followed her to the next area. "I'm sorry!" she called out.

Bri huffed in frustration.

"I was jealous."

"Damn it, Val. I said leave me alone. I'm not in the mood to hear your bullshit excuses."

"It's not an excuse. It's the truth. I was jealous of Lea. I mean, you were my best friend first, and then, she comes along, and I felt like I was losing my best friend to—"

"To what, a super needy, pathetic disabled person?"

"To someone better!"

Bri rolled her eyes in disbelief.

"You were the first real friend I ever had. The friends I had before were all superficial, stuck-up, plastic sluts."

"Yeah, just like you."

"Exactly, and then, I met you. You were actually nice to me. You were encouraging and uplifting and sweet, and then... along comes Lea, who's just like you. You guys were attached at the hip almost immediately. I thought, maybe if I get rid of Lea, I'll get my best friend back."

Bri could feel the anger boiling inside of her. She slammed the posters down on the ground. "You are so full of shit! Lea never stole me from you! She never stole Ivan from you! She never did anything to you!"

"I know! I—"

"She didn't just wanna be friends with me! She wanted your friendship, too! Believe it or not, she actually cared deeply about you! She always said we were both like sisters to her! She didn't just want our friendship; she needed it! You may have had superficial friends, but she didn't have any. She only had enemies, people who bullied her, and made her hate herself! She thought you cared about her, too, but instead, you bullied her! You did everything in your power to make her life as miserable as possible, as if things weren't already bad enough for her! You had a chance to make someone's life better. Instead, you made it a hundred times worse. Then, when she finally finds the joy and happiness and love she wanted and needed for so long, and deserved, stupid terminal cancer takes it all away again! You had no reason to be jealous of Lea, because she had it way worse than you! She had every reason to be jealous of you, because you have what she never did, but she wasn't jealous of you! She loved you like a sister! She never destroyed our friendship; you did! You screwed it up!" Bri picked up the posters she slammed on the ground. "Oh, and one more thing, you wished her dead, and now, she's going to die in two months. You got your wish. Let that be on your conscience." With that, she stormed off, leaving Val completely speechless, and finished hanging the posters. Then, she hurried home before Val could follow her.