Chapter 74

On Valentine's Day, Sméagol decided to take Lea out on a date to the same romantic Italian restaurant they ate at a few months prior, and they were served by the same waitress.

"Welcome back," she said. "What would you like to drink?"

"Water, please," said Sméagol.

"And, I'll have a Dr. Pepper with no ice, please," added Lea.

"Alright," said the waitress, "I'll be right back."

"Wow," said Lea, "I can't believe she remembered us."

Sméagol grinned. "Maybe she remembers you the most, Precious."

Lea chuckled. "I don't even look the same anymore."

"No, you don't. You gets prettier everyday."

Lea giggled. "Even though I look all cancery and sick?"

"It doesn't look sick to me, my beautiful Lea."

"You're so sweet."

"When does it get a PET scan again?"

"Two weeks. Hopefully, the chemo's working."

"I hope so, too, Precious," Sméagol said sympathetically. "It hurts me to see you suffering so much."

Lea smiled lovingly at Sméagol.

"Here are your drinks," said the waitress, placing the drinks on the table. "Do you guys know what you wanna eat, or do you need a few minutes?"

"We knows," said Sméagol. "We takes the shrimp fettuccine alfredo again."

Lea nodded in agreement.

"And, you're splitting it?" the waitress asked.

"Yep," said Lea.

"Okay," the waitress said, writing down their order. "Now, it may take a bit longer to get your food out to you, because since it's Valentine's Day, we are totally swamped."

Lea and Sméagol smiled at the waitress.

"It's alright," said Sméagol. "We doesn't mind."

"Nope," Lea agreed. "I'm just glad to get out of the house."

The waitress laughed. "Well, alright then."

Sméagol got up from his seat. "Sméagol be right back, Precious," he said, hugging Lea and kissing her cheek. "Must go to the bathroom."

"Okey dokey," said Lea.

Sméagol giggled as he headed off to the men's room.

While Lea waited for him, she lost herself in La La Land, thinking about Sméagol, how good he's been to her since the beginning, but especially after her diagnosis. He understood it was hard for her to get around, because she was so sick all the time. Still, he was so patient with her, and always took such good care of her. She felt so warm and fuzzy inside, thinking about it all. What an angel, she thought.

"Hey." Lea was suddenly jerked back to reality by a familiar voice.

"Val?" said Lea. "What are you doing here?"

"I'm here on a date with my wonderful, amazing boyfriend, Ivan," Val gloated.

Lea tried hard not to laugh. If this was Val's attempt at making her feel bad, it wasn't working.