Chapter 55

Soon, it was December, and everywhere Sméagol looked, there were beautiful, colorful lights, decorated trees, and red, green, silver, and gold sparkles. People all around were wearing red and white fuzzy hats, and there was beautiful, joyful music playing all around. Yes, it was Christmastime, but Sméagol had never celebrated, or even heard of, Christmas before.

One Sunday evening, Lea, Sméagol, and Aini met up at Bri and Damian's house for dinner and Bible study. Bri had prepared a special Christmas meal of mashed potatoes, prime rib, green bean casserole, bread, and deviled eggs.

"This is delicious, Bri," said Sméagol. "We loves prime ribses and taters."

Bri giggled. "Taters?"

"That's what Sam calls them," said Aini.

"That is adorable. I wanna meet Sam and Frodo sometime."

Lea and Damian nodded in agreement with their mouths full.

"So, today, our Bible study is going to be about Christmas," Bri said as she grabbed a special book with a Christmas tree on the front cover.

"What's Christmas, Precious?" asked Sméagol.

"Christmas is a very special holiday we celebrate every year. You guys don't have Christmas back in middle Earth?"

Sméagol shook his head.

"Okay, well, it's a celebration of the birth of Jesus Christ."

"Ohh."

"So, I'm going to read the story."

As they enjoyed their meal, Bri read the story from the Christmas tree book. Sméagol's eyes glistened as he took it all in. What a beautiful, heartwarming story, he thought to himself, and Gollum completely agreed.

"So, every year, people put up these beautiful trees with gorgeous lights and ornaments and all sorts of decorations," Bri said as she closed her book, and placed it on the counter.

"And, we play this really awesome music," said Lea, "Christmas music, and we give each other presents."

"And, so, so, so much more. It's a magical holiday. So, Sméagol, you wanna help us decorate the house?"

Sméagol's face lit up. "Yes!" he said excitedly.

"Okay, let's get started."

Everyone hurried into the living room, where the Christmas tree was already set up, and ready to be decorated.

"Is that a Christmas tree?" asked Sméagol.

"It sure is," said Damian, "and we're gonna decorate it together."

"It's so beautiful," Gollum said breathlessly.

Lea smiled. "Yeah, it is."

Bri grabbed her iPad, set up the Blue Tooth speakers, and turned on a playlist of Christmas songs to listen to while decorating the tree. "This is Christmas music," she said.

Sméagol's smile grew so big.."You like it?"

"Oh, we loves it!" he said happily.

They all laughed softly as they began to decorate the tree. Damian showed Sméagol how to string the lights. Sméagol's eyes glistened when he saw all the beautiful colors. Bri and Lea helped him hook all the ornaments onto the tree branches. Each ornament was very special to Bri and Damian.