Chapter 69

Later, Lea woke up in her own bed, surrounded by her friends and her mother.

"Hey, Sweetie," said Delaney. "How you feelin'?"

"Like shit."

Delaney hugged her daughter. "I know. You're gonna have your surgery on Monday. Then, if needed, they're gonna start you on chemo, and it'll make you feel even shittier, but..." She swallowed her tears. "But, everything will be okay." She caressed Lea's forehead. "Everything will be okay, Sweetie."

"Thanks, Mom. I love you."

"I love you, too," Delaney wept as she hugged Lea, and kissed her cheek. "Listen, I'm gonna go now, so you can be with your friends, but know that I'm only a call or Facebook message away if you need me."

"Okay. Thanks, Mom."

Delaney hugged and kissed her daughter one more time. "Take care of my baby," she said to everyone as she left.

"We will," Bri said reassuringly.

Then, Lea fell back asleep for a little while, and woke up to see Sméagol sitting next to her in his bunny onesie.

"Precious?" Sméagol said sweetly.

"Hey," Lea said drowsily.

"How is our baby?"

"I still feel like shit."

Sméagol wrapped his arm around Lea. "Awww, poor thing."

"Look, I'm really sorry I pissed you off earlier. I really, honestly wasn't trying to. I was just—"

"We knows," Gollum said sweetly. "We knows, Precious."

"We're so sorry we hurts you," said Sméagol.

"No, I'm sorry," said Lea. "I shouldn't have gotten on your case like that. God, I'm such a bitch."

"No, Precious, you're not," said Gollum.

"No, seriously, I know I don't understand what it's like for you to fight addiction. I should've been more encouraging and understanding. It's just... I don't wanna lose you." She began to cry.

"Awwww, come here, Sweetie." Sméagol held Lea close. "You will never lose us, never. The Precious cannot come between us. We loves you too much. We will never leave you, and we will never, ever hurt you."

"No, never, my love," said Gollum, "and I'm so sorry I hurt you. I never should've spoken to you that way. I never will again." He kissed Lea. "Can it ever forgive us?"

"I already have," said Lea. "I was never mad at you in the first place. I was mad at myself."

"No, Precious," said Sméagol, "it had every right to get upset. We knows it's not easy for you."

"I just... I hate that stupid ring. After everything it did to you, everything you went through because of it, you didn't deserve any of it. You deserve so much better."

"We knows, and so do you. So do you, Precious." Sméagol caressed Lea's head. "We won't go looking for the Precious anymore."

"Wait," said Gollum, "what?"

"Are you sure?" asked Lea.

"Yes, we're sure." Sméagol smiled sweetly. "We promise, Baby."

"Yes," Gollum said hesitantly, "we won't look for it anymore."

"Thanks," said Lea as she began to cry.

"Awww, what is it, my precious?" Sméagol asked in his sweetest voice.

"I'm scared," Lea sobbed.

Sméagol snuggled up with Lea, and held her so close. "We knows," he sniffled. "Is there anything we can do for you, Baby?"

"Will you please pray for me?"

"Of course, we will, my love." Sméagol kept holding Lea while he placed one hand on his heart. "Dear Heavenly Father, we thanks you for sending us this beautiful, precious angel." He kissed her forehead. "She's the light of our life, and we loves her so much. Will you please do us a favor? Please help her through this, heal her, take all her pain away. She deserves better. Thank you. In Jesus' name we pray, amen."

"Thanks, Sméagol."

"You're welcome, Precious."

"Get some rest, Love," Gollum said as he kissed Lea.

"I love you," said Lea.

"We loves you, too."

"Very much," added Sméagol as he turned on Lea's Celtic Woman playlist.

"We be right back."