Chapter 6

The next day, Lea woke up to the sound of Ivan's ringtone. She groaned as she reached for her phone. "What?" she sighed, irritated.

"Hey, Babe," said Ivan. "Watcha doin'?"

"Sleeping, or at least I was."

"Hey, what's wrong, Babe?"

Are you freaking kidding me? Lea thought as she rolled her eyes. "I'm fine. Can I get back to sleep?"

"Not 'til you tell me what's bothering you?"

Lea didn't answer.

"Is it because I missed your concert yesterday?"

"You mean for the umpteenth time?"

"I know. I know. Look, I'm sorry, Babe. I had to work."

"Bullshit!" Lea scoffed. "You work at Chick-fil-A. They're closed on Sundays, dumbass."

"Yeah, but apparently, things got crazy on Saturday night. Someone got sick, and there was vomit everywhere, so I had to come in to clean up."

Lea sighed heavily.

"Look, I'm sorry. There wasn't anything I could do about it."

"You could've just told me ahead of time."

"You're right. I should've called you to say I couldn't make it. Look, I know that concert was important to you. How can I make it up to you?"

Lea thought for a minute. "Damian taped the concert."

"Oh, good. Maybe I can come over Friday, and we can watch it together."

"Yeah, sure," Lea said hesitantly.

"So, you forgive me?"

Lea took a deep breath. "Fine. You're forgiven. Now, can I please go back to sleep?"

"Sure, Babe. I'll see you Friday."

"Okay."

"Love you."

"Yeah, you, too." Lea hung up the phone, and slammed it back down on her nightstand.

Well, Friday night came. Lea waited around, but Ivan never showed up. She called Bri. "Hey. Are you busy?"