Chapter 8

So, the next day, Bri and Damian picked Lea up to take her to the group. When they arrived, they led her to a seat as they put out the food and drinks, and set up the musical equipment. Lea felt very nervous yet excited as people began piling in.

"Hi, everybody!" Bri greeted cheerfully. "Welcome back! So, I wanna introduce you to my bestie and new JamFam member. This is Lea Foley."

"Hi, Lea," said a few people. Others just waved and smiled.

"Okay, so we're gonna eat here in a few minutes, but first—"

"Hi. Is this the JamFam support group?"

"Yes, it is. Come in."

Aini entered the room with Sméagol following close behind.

Bri smiled at Sméagol. "Hi," she said sweetly. "What's your name?"

"This is Sméagol," said Aini.

"Sméagol? That's adorable! And, what's yours?"

"I'm Aini. I'm here for moral support."

"Oh, well, welcome! Wow, this is great. We have three newcomers. Have a seat anywhere you like."

Aini and Sméagol sat down together, a few feet away from Lea.

"Okay, so anyway, before we eat, is there anyone who would like to share a song with the group?"

Lea raised her hand.

"Okay, Lea. You're up."

Lea stood up, moved toward the karaoke machine, and grabbed the microphone.

"Why don't you tell the group a little bit about yourself?"

"Okay, um, so... I'm Lea," she stuttered nervously. "I'm twenty-seven years old, and I'm both Autistic and visually impaired. Um, I love to use music to tell my story. I love to sing, and I sing about things I go through and... all that stuff. So, I hope you enjoy."

"You ready?" asked Damian.

"Yep."

"Alrighty."

Damian hit "Play." The music started, and Lea began to sing. The song she performed was very emotional, and she poured her heart into every note and every word. All the hurt she carried inside her came flooding out, and could be heard in her voice and seen all over her face. For Lea, it was more than just performing a song, and even more than just telling a story. It was a release for her, and everyone in the room could feel her intense pain and sadness.

"Bless us and splash us, Precious!" Sméagol cried. "It's beautiful!"

Aini smiled and nodded.

When Lea finished, everyone cheered and applauded.

"Wow!" Bri exclaimed with tears in her eyes. "Isn't she incredible, guys?"

A few others sniffled and brushed away tears.

"Okay, who wants to go next?"

Nobody replied.

"Nobody?"

"Go on," Aini whispered to Sméagol.

"Well, I wouldn't wanna follow that, either," Bri joked. "So—"

Sméagol raised his hand.

"Oh, you wanna go next?"

"Yes," Sméagol replied.