Chapter 79

That evening, Lea decided to go for a short stroll to the field near her house. She sat in the grass, and looked around her at the beautiful trees and flowers, the beautiful landscape that was her home. Her heart sank to the pit of her stomach when she realized how much she was going to miss it. Then, she looked to the sky. "Gollum?" she said with a tear in her eye. "I don't know if you can hear me wherever you are, but..." She began to sob again. "I really need you right now. I'm gonna die, Gollum, and I'm scared out of my mind. I know you don't wanna hurt me, but not being with you is hurting me even more. Please, if you're out there, if you can hear me, please come back." She rested her face on her knees, and cried her heart out.

A few seconds later, she felt someone wrap their arms around her from behind. "Awww, why does it cry, Precious?" said a familiar, comforting voice.

Lea sat back up. "Gollum?"

"Yes, Precious," he said sweetly. "It's me." He knelt beside her, and put his arm around her.

"Oh, thank God!" Lea sobbed.

"Oh, come here, Baby." He pulled her into a big hug.

"I missed you so much."

"I missed you, too."

"I'm really glad you're back, because I really, really need you right now."

"Why? What happened, my precious, my love?"

Lea tried to calm herself down enough to talk. "Today, I found out the chemo's not working, and the cancer's gotten worse, and..." She hesitated.

"And, what, Precious?"

"I'm gonna die, Gollum," she sobbed again.

Gollum's jaw dropped. "What?"

"The doctor said I have less than three months to live."

Gollum's heart sank. "Oh, no."

"I'm really scared, Gollum," Lea wept. "I'm scared out of my fucking mind."

Gollum held Lea closer. "I knows," he said sweetly. "I knows, Precious. It'll be alright. I'm here now."

"Does this mean you'll come back for good?"

"I wish I could, my love. I can't."

"I know you don't wanna hurt anyone, but I really need you. Sméagol needs you, too. Everyone misses you."

"And, I miss them, but I can't come back. I can't fight against the Precious. Its power is far too strong for me to resist. It will take hold of me again, and I will only cause pain. And, I can't fight the temptation to find it. I remebers the look on your face that night I went to look. I hurt you so much. I don't want to do that again. I loves you too much to put you through that, and my dear friend, Sméagol, I almost got us killed the first time. I wants him to be happy without the Precious. He deserves it. I know I would only make him search for it if I came back, and that would hurt both him and you. You've both been hurt enough as it is. You don't needs any more pain."

"What about after the ring's destroyed? Would you come back then?"

"Yes. I would, Precious."

"And, what if I were to destroy it for you?"

"You?"

"Yeah. I'm immune to its power. The only thing it can do to me is cause a nasty sensory meltdown, but—"

"No. Don't put yourself through any more pain."

"I don't care how bad the meltdown would be. Fuck my sensory issues. I have bigger problems to deal with right now. " Lea removed her wig, and pointed to her bald head. "I would do anything for you. You don't have to fight it alone anymore. Don't let stupid Sauron win. You're much better than him. He wants you to give in. Don't give that bastard what he wants. And, Gollum, I think that you can fight the temptation, because I believe you're stronger than that ring. You're stronger than you think you are, and you deserve so much better than that ring. I think I know why you feel like you can't fight against it. You think you don't have purpose without it. You've been attached to it for so long, and all that time, you couldn't find any other joy. But, you do have purpose without it. You have people now, who love you and need you. You've touched so many lives. You've helped so many people who were struggling with their own crap. You changed lives for the better. You changed mine. Please come back."

Gollum wrapped his arms around Lea again, and kissed her passionately.

Lea knew he was saying goodbye. "Will you please sing to me?"

"Of course, I will, Precious." He held her tight, wrapping his whole body around her, and sang her a sweet song as he gently caressed her. His voice was so warm and beautiful; it reduced her to tears again.

"Please don't go," Lea pleaded one last time. "I need you."

"And, you will always have me," he said sweetly. "I will always be with you. I will watch over you."

"I love you," Lea wept. "I love you so much."

Gollum wiped Lea's tears. "And, I love you, my precious. I always have, and I always will. Everything will be alright, my beautiful Lea." He gave her a big hug, kissed her passionately one last time, and disappeared into thin air.