Chapter 86

A few minutes later, Damian found Bri sitting on the front porch steps by herself. "Hey," he greeted as he sat down beside her.

"Hey," she replied glumly.

"Awww, what's the matter?" Damian said in a cutesy voice as he put his arm around her.

Bri sighed heavily. "Why do bad things always happen to good people? Lea's one of the best people I know, but she's been through hell her whole life. I mean, she was bullied growing up, abused by one guy after another, betrayed by one fake friend after another, bullied again, and just when things start to turn around for her, she gets cancer. Or, Sméagol. He's the sweetest little munchkin, yet he was dealt the worst hand anyone could be dealt. One minute, he's fishing with his best friend. Next minute, his whole life is turned upside down, because of a stupid, ugly ring created by a malignant tumor named Sauron. His whole family and all his friends turn on him. He lives in isolation for four hundred plus years, gets tortured for God knows how long, and then, everyone wants him dead. Sure, he did some pretty fucked up things, but—"

"I know. It was because of the ring."

"Nobody really understood him. Nobody really understood that it wasn't his fault. They just wanted him gone. But, not everything is black and white."

"Nope, you're right about that."

"But, if he actually did die..." Bri started to cry at the thought of Sméagol dying or being killed.

"I know," Damian said sadly. "I can't stand the thought of him dying, either. He's such a good guy."

"Everything got better when he came along, for you and me and Lea and... so many other people. I just don't understand why the world is so screwed up, why people who need love the most don't get it, and people who treat others like shit get everything they want." She dried her tears. "I ran into Val today, and she gave me this bullshit sob story about how she was jealous of Lea, because she thought Lea was stealing me from her."

"Judas," Damian scoffed, "what a load of orc doodoo."

"All the crap she put Lea through, and that's her excuse. 'I was jealous, because she was stealing my best friend away from me.' Give me a break. I told her Lea's dying, and all she did was try to defend herself. You know, I know that Gollum used to be... you know, but the difference between him and Val, someone loved him, and he changed."

"Yep. Someone loved Val, and she threw it right back in their face."

Bri nodded.

"You know, I honestly don't know why this world is the way it is, why the best people are dealt the worst hand, and the worst people get off scott free. I wonder the same thing, too. Watching you struggling with Bulimia and depression and anxiety and PTSD, knowing everything you went through growing up, I always wondered, what in the hell did Bri ever do to deserve this? She's the sweetest, most amazing and beautiful woman I know, yet she couldn't seem to catch a break."

"Awww, Honey." Bri rested her head on Damian's shoulder. "I always thought you deserved so much better than me, because I know I put you through a lot. And, I always wondered what I did to deserve someone as good and wonderful as you for a husband. I know it was hard taking care of me all the time, not knowing if you were gonna come home to me or ED, and all the things."

"Well, yeah, it was hard, but... you're worth fighting for, and look how far you've come."

"I never would've made it this far without you, Babe."

Damian kissed Bri.

"Lea thinks she's running Sméagol ragged now."

"What?" Sméagol gasped, overhearing the conversation as he went outside to check the mail. He stood by the mailbox, and listened.

"What?" Damian inquired. "Why?"

"Well, she already couldn't do a lot for herself, because of her disabilities. Now, she can barely carry her laundry down the stairs, so Sméagol has to do pretty much everything for her. She thinks she's running him ragged, and she feels bad for needing him so much."

"It's not her fault she's sick, though. I mean, it's not like she asked for a brain tumor."

"Yeah, just like it's not her fault that she has disabilities that make it harder to do things for herself, but she still feels guilty for needing help." Bri sighed sadly. "And, I know how that feels."

Sméagol's heart broke. "Oh, my poor baby," he said sadly as he put his hand over his heart, and hurried back inside.