Chapter 49

Later that afternoon, Lea was browsing Facebook, and looking at her family and friends' posts, when she came across a status update from Damian, who hardly ever posted on Facebook. "What's this?" she said to herself as she clicked to open it.

"Everyone, please pray for my beautiful wife, Brianna Haskell," it read. "She was in a car accident this morning. I don't wanna go into too much detail right now, but I'll keep you updated."

Lea's jaw hit the floor as she remembered what Val told her earlier. Her words kept echoing in her head, and it became too much for her to handle, knowing she could actually be the reason for what happened. She hid her face in her hands as tears poured from her eyes.

"Lea!" Sméagol called as he hurried up the stairs to her room. "Does it want pizza for dinner?" Then, he saw her with her head down on her desk, sobbing her heart out. He rushed over to her, and patted her back. "Awww, what's the matter, my precious?" he asked so sweetly, wrapping his arm around her. "Why does it cry?"

Lea sat up. "Bri's in the hospital"

"What?"

"Look what Damian posted."

Sméagol read Damian's status, and his heart sank. "Oh, no."

"Val was telling the truth this time. Bri tried to kill herself, because of me."

"Oh, my precious..." Sméagol caressed her shoulder.

"How do I always do this?" Lea sobbed. "How do I always fuck up every relationship I have, and hurt every person I care about?"

"What does it mean by that?"

"I've driven off every friend and boyfriend I've ever had, because I was a burden to them, and made their lives miserable."

"They were never your true friends. Bri is your friend."

Lea rolled her eyes. "I don't have any friends. Nobody likes me."

Gollum suddenly felt very sad. "Awwww, Sméagol," he said sympathetically, "I remember when I said that to you. I didn't mean it, Precious, because it wasn't true. Master was your friend."

"And, so were you," said Sméagol.

"No," said Gollum. "I was not a good friend to you, not the friend you needed."

"But, you were there when nobody else was. I didn't mean it when I said I hated you," Sméagol said sadly. "I said it, because I was hurt by what you said, but I loved you."

"I loved you, too, Sméagol. I still love you, my precious friend."

"I love you, too, Gollum."

"I'm so sorry, Smeagol.," Gollum said sweetly. "For everything I did and said to you, I'm so sorry."

"Awww, I'm sorry, too, Gollum."

"None of the horrible things I said to you were true, just like it's not true that Lea makes everyone's lives miserable."

"It is true," said Lea. "Ivan said so himself that I made his life miserable. So did Val, and so did so many other people."

"But, why does it think it's a burden to people? Why does it think it makes people's lives so awful?"

"Because, people have to take care of me, because I can't take care of myself."

"But, it can't help it if it has a disability."

"And, I'm too sensitive and emotionally fucked up, and I dump all my problems on people, and I make people feel bad over the stupidest shit. It won't be long before I drive you off, too."

"Awwww, my precious, come here." Sméagol pulled Lea into a big hug. "You will never lose us. We loves taking care of you. It did nothing to hurt us, never."

"Nothing at all, my precious, my love," Gollum said sweetly. "We will never leave you, our beautiful princess."

"Bri said the same thing," said Lea, "that I never did anything to hurt her, but then, look what happened. I not only drove her out of my life, but I might've driven her and her unborn baby to an early grave." She began sobbing harder. "God, I hate myself. Why didn't I kill myself a long time ago? Spare everyone so much fucking pain. I'm a horrible person."

"No, Precious," Sméagol sniffled, "don't say that. You are not horrible. You are a beautiful, special, talented person with the voice of an angel and a heart of gold. Even after everything we've done, you still loved us."

"You never saw us as wicked," said Gollum. "You only saw the good in us, and it made us see it, too, see all the good in this world again, all the beautiful things we forgot about, things I never even knew of. You taught me what love was, and you gave it to us, so much of it, unconditionally."

"Even though we doesn't deserves it," added Sméagol.

"But, you do deserve it," Lea sniffled.

"And, so do you, Precious," said Gollum. "Please don't give up on your life. We needs you, and we loves you." He began to cry. "We would not be alright if you killed yourself. We would not be alright without you, my love."

"You are so precious to us," Sméagol wept, "so precious. Please never give up. You are so strong, and you matter to us... and so many others."

"I just... I can't live with myself," Lea wept. "Knowing my best friend could die, and I'm the reason, it... it kills me. It's too much."

"We doesn't think so, love," said Gollum. "It doesn't make any sense."

"It does to me, though. I mean, she doesn't talk to me for weeks on end, and then, suddenly, she's in the hospital."

"Yes," said Sméagol, "but we doesn't think it's because of you, Precious."

"Val is a liar," Gollum growled. "She lied about Ivan, about you, and she lied about being your friend. Wicked, tricksy, false she is! Always makes up stories to hurt our beautiful Lea."

Sméagol gently caressed Lea's shoulder. "Yes, Precious," he said softly, "We knows Bri still loves you, and you loves her, too. Go see your friend, Sweetie."

Lea dried her tears. "Okay. I'll go right now."

"Alright, Precious," Gollum said sweetly. "And, we goes with you if you wants."

"That would be great," said Lea. "Thanks."

"Anything for you, my love." Gollum kissed Lea's cheek. "Come, Lea. Must go."