Chapter 1

Those eyes, foreign to hers, slowly opened.

Ha Lee looked about the room, scanning it.

Everything was rather strange to her. What she was seeing felt so real, as if she were still alive.

However, as she looked around more she couldn't deny it any longer. It was the truth of what she felt.

"Why am I alive? I thought I died."

Then, not even noticing the young man that was kneeling beside her, awakened by her sudden movements. His eyes fluttered for a couple of seconds before looking to her. She too stared back at him, confused.

It was then, water began to well up. Without another moment to spare, he leaped onto her, bringing her into a tight embrace. Tears streamed down his flushed cheeks.

She didn't know who he was that he was hugging her, but just kept as still as a stick. Hearing his cries, it felt almost strange to hear so. Never once has anyone ever cried for her, and never once has a person cried before her genuinely.

Then he loosened his grip on her and called for the others, "Mother! Father! Mei, she has awakened!"

She raised a brow.

"Mei? But my name is Ha Lee....."

She became even more confused and frantically looked around the room hoping there was some open mirror.

And she did.

Ha Lee examined the sight before her very eyes.

This person is not her. Her soul may be here but not her body. This only made her feel conflicted with this change but she didn't show it on her face.

Then, hurried footsteps approached and coming through the doors were a mid-aged man and woman. She just looked at them and doing so made the two overfilled with joy. The man, Li Mei's father, was smiling while the woman, her mother, was overwhelmed at her awakening.

Rushing to her the woman hugged her tightly, "My child, don't you know how much you scared us." she told her with shut eyes that weren't able to hold back the droplets.

Ha Lee's expression was still straight but slightly concerned. She slowly pushed away the woman from her and looked at the three that were present in the room with her. Then, she said the most heart wrenching words the dear family of Li Mei could ever hear.

"Who are you?"

The three almost froze upon hearing her words. The young man, Li Dai, whom was Li Mei's older brother's, joyful smile then became almost panicked. The mother, Fu Lin's, eyes became overshadowed with fear and pain. The father, Li Chen, was in absolute agony.

Although quiet, the man broke the dreadful silence. "Please excuse me. I'll be stepping out for a moment." he said as his hand covered his eyes.

Li Dai came closer to his sister and held her hands, barely warm. "Mei, it's me, Dai. I'm your big brother who vowed to protect you forever and always." his words trailed as more droplets fell. "Please... don't you remember me? I am your big brother!" he cried painfully.

Still, Ha Lee kept quiet not saying a word. She didn't know what to do as she didn't know who these people were. She looked at the two left in the room. The mother was crying sorrowfully and Li Dai was in denial.

Seeing them show this kind of love towards her, who wasn't even their Li Mei, also made her nearly burst into tears. Never once has anyone in the life she used to live, ever given the emotion of love to her.

Feeling that emotion, she didn't know how to accept it.

Her expression was just the same, but without even knowing, a tear slipped down her pale cheeks. Noticing the wetness, her hand came to them and touched it.

"Why am I crying?"

Months passed and during the time since she had awakened, her family just stuck to her. They talked about Mei and what she used to do and what she liked. Ha Lee only listened and tried to learn more of this Miss she resided in.

So far, she learned that she is the daughter of General Li Chen. He is the renowned commander of the royal troops and army who is well respected by the people.

Li Mei was a kind and caring young woman who simply stayed home most of her time with her mother while her brother and father went to the palace to help train the troops, and possibly some court meetings within the royal court. She was also two years her age, 19, whereas Ha Lee was 17 when she died.

Another thing she learned, is that this is the same lifetime she also died. The same year and same city, the capital.

As she simply looked to the sky during this night from the porch of her room, she wandered in her thoughts about this. It was like she was questioning the heavens in her mind.

"Are you giving me a second chance to live this lifetime?"
.
.
.