Chapter 16

Outside the palace, Li Dai roamed the streets, deciding to use this day to find any clues to the case of missing women. There have been reports of them going missing, but no tracks.

This news, however, was kept underground. Not many knew and he was one of the few aware of it.

He dressed in simple robes to blend into the society of the common folk. Doing so, he wouldn't stand out as much a noble. His long overcoat also covered his sword.

Walking along the many vendors and shops, one thing caught his attention. This wasn't anything relating to the case, but to Niu Xia.

Pausing this investigation for a brief moment, he left to a certain stand. Approaching what caught his eye, was a necklace.

It was a jade pendant, a rather pale shade.

Although simple, it still stood out from the rest. That was the kind of spark it had, like her. Although not the most beautiful or dazzling, she was still the apple of his eye.

Seeing the owner of this shop, he called her over. "Excuse me Madame, how much is this pendant?" he asked.

The old woman walked over to him eyeing the item he had his sights on. Upon sight, she smiled knowing what it was.

"For your partner?" she asked.

He almost broke into a sweat hearing that, "Ahh....... umm a friend."

"It's 5 copper coins." stating the price.

As he reached for his money, she only spoke on.

"You know, love is a beautiful thing." giving her own perspective. "You go through many things as a pair. However, not confessing your true feelings could result in regret and even tragedy." it were as though she learned this too.

Handing her the copper coins, he looked at her puzzled as to why she even included tragedy. There wasn't supposed to be such a thing.

Right?

Not saying another word, he simply bowed in respect and left.

Walking on, the old woman could only look from afar. She seemed to know something he didn't.

All that filled her eyes, was pity and a sense to cry for him.

Later, as he walked along the trees in that forest where the missing women are left, he could only go to that same spot where his sister was found.

This particular thought was still at the back of his mind.

His sister right now, felt like someone he knew but not so familiar with. Yes, her memories were lost but was the air between them also supposed to change this drastically?

Wouldn't they still feel like family?

His hands came into a fist as he walked off, further into the forest. Even if the person right now didn't feel like his sister, he would still protect and love her.

All he wanted to know, was the truth of what happened.

"I'll kill whoever laid their filthy hands on her."

Elsewhere, Wen still wandered the streets of the capital city. It's been at least a week already, and yet she hasn't found him.

She sighed to herself.

"If I don't find him in another 3 days I may just go back to my Lady."

This past week, every day she would leave her inn, she resided in the time being, and roam the streets in search of that man.

Walking along different path, this one was rather busy. This place was where men would come to fulfill their desires.

At the entrance, her steps came to a halt. Nervously, she gulped.

"Could this possibly be where he's staying?" talking to herself.

A man did need to fulfill their desires from time to time. Unless, they were an addict.

About to step in, Wen then stopped herself realizing something. Then, she walked away, going elsewhere.

Later that evening, the woman came back dressed as a man. Her cheeks flushed with embarrassment that she even thought of this.

Taking deep breaths, she prepared herself and for the possible worse outcome that could happen.

Tightly, she shut her eyes before opening them. With her first steps past that entrance, her night's journey began.
.
.
.