Chapter 9

Outside the palace, Yusheng had already started the promise he made to her. A few of his men, including himself and his friend, settled out to find clues about Li Mei's backstory. This also involved, finding the shaman that told the upbringing of her happenings.

The two walked through the streets of the capital city, with their swords hidden beneath their robes to not give away cover.

"Isn't it strange?" spoke Yusheng.

"What is?" responded his in-law.

The prince looked to him then forward as they walked. "The fact that Li Mei changed so drastically." the main point.

"If she came back without loosing her memories, she wouldn't even ask to know what exactly happened to her. However, she's like an entirely different person, almost as if someone were possessing her." making an assumption.

Li Dai just looked to the side then forward. "I know she's so different now, but I still love her. She's my sister. Even if she changed into a different person  that detested me, I'd still care for her without a doubt." his eyes lowered. "But indeed, it is bizarre that she's so out of character." he agreed as it was undeniable.

Now the two made their way out of the city and into the forest. Although daylight was still apparent, here it felt as if the rays of light were denied access to this place.

This was the forest where Li Mei was found.

Making their way to that exact spot where she was found, the General's son led them. The area was marked on a tree by Li Dai so he would know where it was.

Reaching that spot, they scanned the surroundings with their senses.

Yusheng, however, kept his eyes on the ground while Li Dai looked around him, listening to the wilderness.

Then, the prince's brow raised noticing something. He tapped his friend's shoulder, to gain his attention.

"Hey, the soil," he gestured to him.

The General's son looked to the ground also noticing it. "The soil was disturbed. It's like someone was here before us." Yusheng spoke as his friend knelt down and touched it.

"I also heard shuffling in the distance. Like something or someone was being dragged across the dirt." Li Dai's voice seemed hoarse.

Then a thought came, almost frightening him, ".......Do you possibly think there's another person around here too? Someone that's being left here like Li Mei?" spoke the prince.

Without a second thought, the two made a run for it, towards the direction of that shuffling sound.

Many trees went past them as they ran, along with the fallen leaves crushing under their feet.

Once they reached that source, the person disposing of the body was gone, leaving only the body of a woman.

It was dead silent as the two stood at the foot of the lifeless body.

The woman looked to be at least in her late teens, height average among women, long black hair, and seemed to be fairly slim along with good looks.

However, her eyes were filled with pure fright. As if before the moment she died, something scared her greatly. Those irises, were void of any light.

Li Dai bent down and brought his finger to the nose.

No breathing.

He then looked at the Commander and shook his head.

He too also bent down, bringing his hands to close the opened, hollow eyes of the maiden.

"What in the world is going on?" the prince spoke to himself.

Back at the palace was Li Mei, alone in her chambers of the 3rd prince's Mirror Palace. This palace was known for it's lake to be as clear as day, reflecting whatever came upon it.

Her personal servant, Wen, about her mid twenties, whom was sent to the palace by her mother, stood by for any instructions that would be given.

The married woman couldn't stand how uncomfortable she must be, having to stand in one place the whole time.

"Wen," she called. "Yes, Your Grace." her status of Miss to Grace.

Mei grabbed her hand and lead her towards the outside balcony to sit at the table with her.

This startled the servant as she had never been given this type of treatment before, especially since it seemed friendly rather than the disciplined treatments she's always given.

"Your Grace, do you wish for me to sit here with you?" she asked.

The two were just looking upon the small garden that was in her courtyard, when Li Mei then gave a smile of sincerity.

"You're very stiff you know that?" shattering the woman. "It's alright to relax. I don't want you to feel so uncomfortable or do the same thing all day, waiting for me to tell you to do something."

Wen looked away as though what she was hearing was a sin if she ever did such a thing.

Noticing this feeling the servant gave off, Li Mei quickly reassured her. "Wen, you've been a servant at our Manor your whole life. I don't want you to be tied down like this till the end. This is an order, as your Lady, I want you to be yourself."

Those very words touched her heart.

Freedom.

When was the last time she ever felt that. She was happy that her now Lady has given her a chance to be more free and not so suppressed like a doll.

"Thank you, my Lady." she bowed deeply.

Elsewhere in the palace, was Yusheng and Li Dai at the Research and Investigation Department. The prince's men that were out with him, secretly brought the maiden's body back into the palace without the notice of the people there.

This room, was solely made for the Commander. He secretly had this hidden room built for him ever since the Ha Family incident, so he could do his in-depth investigation.

"Let's strip her." the prince said.

This startled Li Dai as it was quite a disrespect to the dead especially since she was a maiden. The prince noticing this just eyed him to just go along with it, which he eventually did.

As they unraveled each material of clothing, they found marks, prints, and even bruises as if she were tortured.

The marks were of strange symbols that he did not know of, but certainly will find out later. Those prints were writings that seemed to be in a different language although similar.

However, what caught his attention were those bruises. It looked as though she were tied up repeatedly, and some were even on her lower abdomen and chest area.

It's possible she may have been raped.

Now bare naked, they examined her body. However, Li Dai noticed something that had been at the back of his mind the moment they found her.

"Doesn't she kinda look like her?" he said.

"Who?"

"Ha Lee," he pointed out making his friend halt in his actions.

Slowly, he turned his attention to the woman's face.

Upon inspection, she definitely wasn't her, but those facial features were similar. Having now noticed the looks of this woman, he then thought about Li Mei.

"Li Mei, she also has similar features to Ha Lee." he added to what could be his main key to both the case of the Ha Family and Li Mei.

Now realizing it, Dai agreed. "Do you perhaps think.....they're looking for women that look like her or something? My sister although different is quite similar to her by the eyes and this Miss has the same facial structure."

Yusheng clenched his fists.

What exactly was it, that was happening this very moment?

His eyes became distraught and frustration present on his face.

"Who are you looking for when you possibly have her? Someone just give me an answer."
.
.
.