Chapter 30

With word spreading throughout the nation of how the Young Miss of a renowned background stole from the royal family, was wildfire amongst the people. Some said she was kind and wouldn't dare do it, and others gossiped how she was hiding behind a mask.

"Sis!" Xueqin, the younger brother of Ha Lee called to her as he running on the white covered ground.

With a warm smile, she turned to him. He was now 13 years of age as his birthday was not too long ago. Ha Lee's on the other hand, was just a few weeks away before the new year that was soon approaching.

She was just sitting down on the patio outside her room with her cloth she was sewing into. As he ran with quick steps, he jumped falling into her arms.

Although he was now a teenager, he still acted like a young child in her presence. His height almost reached hers, off by three centimeters.

Her face turned into a scowl, "As much as I love you, you need to stop jumping on me. You're getting heavy!" she complained.

He laughed childishly, "For Sis, I'll always be a child. Even if I'm twenty or even fifty years of age, I'll still act the same way."

She couldn't help bursting into laughter at him and ruffled up his fairly long hair that draped in a loose ponytail.

During these past few months since she left, for sure the air has gotten lighter. However, the memories lingered as something to remember.

Then, she brought the piece she had been working on for quite some time closer to him for a better view.

"What do you think of my new piece?"

He looked it up and down for a while until finally giving his answer.

"I believe it's great but I think you messed up right there." he pointed at the seal whose tail seemed to be out of order.

"Ahhh, now I have to fix it." she began to loosen the thread.

As she did so, the young boy's expression shifted into a sorrow and worried one.

"Sis, do you still love that person?"

Her fingers that reached to loosen those pieces stopped. Those eyes also seemed to lower remembering those memories.

"You do don't you?"

It wasn't that she still loved him, it was that her heart still ached at every mention of him. She was over it, but not over how he simply brushed her away.

"Well, I hope he rots in hell." his sudden swearing came.

Hearing this absurd profanity, she immediately smacked his arm.

Holding in the stinging pain, he spoke words of his own. "I hate him. For the longest time, you had him in your heart and for him to throw it away like that is pure crap. If I ever meet him, I'm going to fight him."

Hearing him, her eyes glistened but softened at how protective he was of her. Pulling him to her, she hugged him tight and patted his back rather roughly.

"Alright, alright, then you must protect me. Sis will be waiting for you." pinching his nose with force.

Xueqin winced as he rubbed his pained area.

"You don't need to wait, I'm already here." he corrected.

She could only ever smile at him.

"Lee!" Lady Yue Ying called for her daughter from her quarters.

Turning her attention to behind, she was met with her mother.

"Come, I need to talk to you." the woman urged.

Not questioning it, she only raised herself from where she sat and made her way there. Once she entered, she sat herself down before her.

"What is the matter you're to tell me?" not sure why she was called.

The woman smiled with delight, "I want to give this to you." she presented a box of extravagant design but old in texture.

The Young Miss crooked her head wondering what it could be.

As Ha Lee outstretched her arm and brought it towards herself ready to open, Lady Yue Ying spoke.

"This is a heirloom passed down from generation to the next. Although made of gold, the gems are worth more." a smile plastered on her face.

At the sight of the object inside, it was a hair clip of a plum blossom. Her eyes seemed to sparkle in awe at the indescribable craftsmanship and gorgeous appearance.

Gently, she took it into the palm of her hand to take a closer look.

"When you find that someone, give this to them. I know it's quite strange for a woman to gift their husband or fated one with this, but doing so is like giving away a part of yourself. Once you hold it, its like it's become you." giving an in-depth story of this clip.

The Young Miss' lips curled up in delight at the background behind this piece.

"I surely will."

Yue Ying's heart felt content that she was able to lift her daughter's spirit at this heirloom she passed.

Just as she was thinking of this moment, something known only to her came again. She sighed inside at this sudden remembrance.

"My child, although you are no longer in the palace, I don't know if you are safe. That man..... I hope he still does not yearn for you just like how he yearned for my best friend."

Even to this day, she has never heard any news of her friend. It's already been 16 years since she last saw her.
.
.
.