Chapter 44

"Fei Ling," Yusheng called the Crown Prince of the Jin Kingdom.

"Yes, Your Highness." he still did not address the prince by his name.

The two were in a separate building of the Mirror Palace grounds where the Commander now kept his treasures he had collected throughout the years from his journeys, since someone had now known about his old place.

Here they spoke as they readied themselves to leave for what they were to do.

"Before you told me about the four kingdoms and how the Jin Kingdoms is to keep balance. What do you know about the Sui's?" wanting to know.

"Your kingdom is ruled by the Divine Goddess Daiyu. She is the one who selects the Crown Princess who is to marry the future king and Crown Prince. The shaman voices her words."

"Mm, I see." he muttered as he finished putting on his gear.

"You ready?" he asked Fei Ling.

"Of course Your Highness."

"Can you tell more about it another time? I would like to know more."

"For sure,"

As the pair walked about the palace grounds, Yusheng was just dressed in his usual outfit with plain robes, not too flashy, and Fei Ling with his usual getup of his white and light blue.

They made their first stop to the royal garden to see the place loitered with evidence. As expected, it was locked to which Ning picked at it.

Without another thought, they entered not in the slightest bit concerned about what could be coming or watching them.

On their way down, the prince could feel the place screaming of innocent deaths and darkness.

"So this is where he did it. Quite smart since not many even suspected."

Reaching the bottom, they left through the blood stained door where he was able to see more things new to his eye. Some of these held information further in depth from his books.

The more he looked around, the more he became sure. It was hard to take in although he hated him.

However, once he saw behind that hidden drawer, he had to say something. She always gave him those flowers.

"That journal, do you still have it on you?" Yusheng asked as he told him to keep it on him.

"Here," Ning held it out.

Flipping through the pages, one stood out to him.

"I should've done something that day you were banished. I knew you didn't do it yet I couldn't say anything. That was the first time in my life I ever got so scared. The day you were to leave, I decided to find you so I can tell you something, but I saw you with him. At that time I didn't know why but I was infuriated at the sight of such a thing. I wanted to be the one holding you."

Reading that last part, Yusheng shut the journal with a loud clap.

Ning just looked to him waiting for what else he wanted to do next.

"Let us detain the man responsible for the disappearances and murders of the missing maidens." his voice held what felt like sympathy.

He seemed to be observing the prince for a moment before he answered. "Yes, Your Highness."

At the Treasured Palace, Shirong's tattoo he had gotten made not too long ago was being tended to by Shen. Although this process was usual to the Crown Prince, the pain was always something he was not prepared for.

He groaned with sweat that formed on him. On his back, there were at least a dozen white butterflies engraved onto his skin.

As soon as the cold towel touched his skin, he arched his back slightly with a wince.

"Your Highness, do not worry I am almost done cleaning it." he assured him.

Just as he said that, so did a voice that was at doors.

"Shirong, let me in." it was Yusheng.

Immediately, although it hurt, he pulled over his robe and quickly urged for Shen to stand by.

"Do as you please." he tried to keep his usual composure.

The prince entered along with Ning and sat himself from across where his brother did. Sitting down, he eyed the man beside the Crown Prince.

He was that same man he saw at the garden the day he and his brother fought.

"What brings you here at this late hour?" the Crown Prince asked with a gesture for him to begin the board game on the table between them.

"No, what brings you there?" he returned, moving his piece forward.

He seemed to freeze for a brief second with hesitation. "...........What're you talking about?"

As he said that, he moved his first bead in the game of go.

Another piece was moved by the Commander, this time louder causing the table to lightly shake.

"Why didn't you say sorry earlier?" he began and his brother moved his next piece with grace.

"To you? I won't." Shirong spoke.

"What do you regret from that day of the banishment?"

"I don't regret that day father banished you to the battlefields."

Then echoed a piece that hit hardly against the wooden board made by Yusheng. This game had already ended by the defeat of the Crown Prince.

"Then do you regret what happened the day I left?"

"............."

The Commander stood from his seat and Ning came forward, subduing Shen. He didn't resist and simply accepted his fate.

Yusheng came towards Shirong and put his hand on his shoulder.

"What was it that you wanted to say to her the day she left the palace?"

He kept silent and only gulped. This quietness remained until he was ready to speak, letting go of the pride that held him back.

This time, he won't let it get in the way of what he truly wants to say.

"....... I wanted to tell her I'm sorry." his voice breaking.

That was the second time he cried.
.
.
.