Chapter 49

For these past days, Fei Ling (Ning) has been doing his own part of the investigation. One thing that was always on his mind, was who exactly was the Crown Prince before the time now.

The foreign prince only started to learn of how he, as the heir to the throne of the Jin Kingdom, was to keep balance within the four kingdoms. He had to know the history and make sure stability was kept, or else the others would fall along with the one to first collapse.

Fei Ling knew for sure that Imperial Concubine Jian Wei is supposed to be the Queen, as she was the Crown Princess. However, something just wasn't right about the king. That man seemed to be out of place where he stood.

He was certain that king did not belong there or the queen along with the exiled Crown Prince.

Today was the day of the Crown Prince's exile. He will be stripped of his royal title and demoted to commoner.

No person is to give aid to him.

Most of his belongings have been left behind except for a few, taking only the important ones. As he stepped onto his horse ready to leave, he looked back once more. Doing so, he meet eyes with his wife.

Seeing her face he never would've thought she'd react such a way.

She was crying.

It shocked him how a person as innocent as her, would shed tears for a person like him.

Mo Liu's face was distraught with sadness that he'll be leaving, never to enter the palace again. Not only that, their son would grow up without a father.

Immediately, Shirong turned back. Taking a deep breath, it were as though he were in a panicked state seeing her. He never thought she'd feel sorrow for him because they would be apart.

Tightly, he shut his eyes and looked to her once more. Doing so, he saw her hand clutching her chest and falling to her knees as servants came to her side.

He wasn't sure, but his heart shattered seeing her this way. Their first meeting was the way they'll be parting, yet this time it was different.

This time they'll be absent in one another's life with regrets.

Softly to himself, he muttered one word.

"Goodbye"

With the Crown Prince's departure, the Treasured Palace now remained vacant. Fei Ling, with light steps, entered the grounds as everyone's attention was at the gates where he'd leave.

Entering, there was no soul as it has already been cleared of any person. Soon, the palace will be guarded heavily because of the history records along with treasured scrolls.

As he passed through the corridors, he came to meet a large broad door. It was made from timber that had carvings of what seemed to be Daiyu holding the Crown.

Of course, he knew the doors were locked but as he was the 3rd prince's person, he had his ways.

Pulling out a key, he put it in and twisted it allowing his entrance into the unknown truths. They were something that not even the Crown Prince knew although he lived here.

Upon the doors opening, a wave of air blew over him. Those loose strands of hair flowed briefly before resting.

The place was grander than he imagined. The rows of history records were more than one could count, treasured items were everyone, rare books from overseas in their own section, and heirlooms secured in a separate room that had no door but a curtain.

He was in awe of it all. This place seemed more magnificent and grand than that of his kingdom's own.

As expected as of the Sui Kingdom, the one who guides it's sibling nations.

Walking over to the history records, he started from the most recent ones. Here, his search began to uncover the truth of king's half brother, Han Ru.

"Jian Li?" a woman's voiced called.

Turning around from where he seemed to be reading a report of some kind, his expression became a rather lightened one, with delight underneath.

"Niu Xia? What're you doing here?" he asked her.

As always, being around him made her smile without even having to try. "I just visited my friend, Lady Li Mei and my father told me we'd leave later instead so I decided to just stay at the Peach Blossom Pavilion while I wait. I didn't expect you to be here however."

As she spoke, he had already tucked away that paper given to him. Listening, her voice in a way soothed his worries. This was caused by the additional paperwork given to him by Yusheng, but didn't mind as he is his faithful follower.

It was an oath he bestowed to him long ago.

"But why do you come here? Is it because spring is coming and the blossoms are close to bloom?" he questioned her with a soft voice.

She chuckled, "That's part of the reason."

"Then what's the other reason?"

She frowned lightly, "The next time you ask me that question, I'll probably know the answer. As of now, I don't know." she told him.

He too chuckled, "Then maybe next time I'll also find something in your answer."

After those words, silence came between them. It wasn't an uncomfortable and awkward one but a rather calming one.

The two simply watched the scenery of the peach trees with their buds still closed as a cold breeze came. The days were passing by quickly and winter was nearing its end.

At times, she'd spare a glance at him not knowing the reason why her eyes would try to find him, but she didn't mind.

He on the other hand, was oblivious to those stares but would hesitantly also try to steal a glance at her.

On this particular instance, their gazes met. No words were exchanged, just silence that lingered for what seemed like forever.

A dream that entered their vision, never to leave.

It was then she smiled at him like the sun, that always shone brightly. At this, he felt something inside, something he didn't think he'd ever experience.
.
.
.