Chapter 7

It was silent as Li Dai walked alongside Niu Xia to her Manor.

The sun was now beginning to set on this beautiful day. With their shadows intertwined, the wind blew past them causing their hair and loose parts of their robes to move along with the breeze.

The difference in their height was also noticeable, despite the Miss being quite tall for a woman. Her smaller frame looked mature yet gentle from every angle, while his was strong and broad due to his shoulders.

This silence that strung between them, soon turned suffocating. The man she liked was him, making it all the more awkward.

On the other hand, he too held interest in her, but was too dense to notice her same feelings.

"So, what did the two of you do today?" he asked the maiden.

Her fingers just played with one another due to her nervousness. "We just spent time together that's all." a short answer.

Eventually, the two approached the entrance of the Niu Manor. This time alone with him was short lived, but it didn't matter. Whenever she was in the same presence as him, it felt as though they were the only ones in the world.

At the entrance, the two just stood before one another silently for a while. No words were exchanged, but a longing silence between them.

Once again, it was he who broke the silence.

"Miss Niu Xia, do you have an engagement?" asking if she was arranged with someone or not.

The young woman shook her head, "No, but I do have an interest." she hinted.

His hand formed into fists, but were hidden by his along sleeves. "May I ask who this gentleman may be?" he wanted to know who it was that had her attention.

"He is a caring man who loves his family very much." she smiled faintly. "He is also a doting brother."

Whenever it was just the two, this same question, he'd ask sometimes. Although it may be an obvious sign that he too held the same interest, she couldn't pick it up as he always confused her. This made her no longer sure of herself.

He scoffed as if he were better than that man, whom was simply just himself, she was talking about.

"He must be quite the stingy type then. Sounds annoying too." he almost shrugged.

His response made her laugh, covering the lower half of her face. He looked to her turning frantic. "W-why're you laughing!? Aren't you supposed to be mad or something that I'm bashing him?" he questioned.

She shook her head, "He may think that he's some loser, but I believe he's amazing." dropping another.

His eyes widened by a fraction hearing those words.

Hearing how she talked of him, he was envious in a way that man wasn't him, when in reality it was him.

However, it was true.

Li Dai always thought of himself as a sore loser as he was the General's son, yet he doesn't hold the title of "Commander Li." This was something he has been working so hard to get.

In the entire imperial army, his father was at the top, then it was his best friend, and him last.

Although one of the best, he still felt as though he wasn't good enough.

"I'm envious." he said. "It sure would be nice if someone said that about me."

Niu Xia looked at him for a short moment then turned away. She wanted to say something but stopped herself due to fear.

Her hand reached for the entrance handle, "Maybe there is someone out there doing so." her voice quiet. "Just keep your head up." her smile hidden from him.

He was speechless at those words.

Amazing.

That was the only word he could ever describe her as.

"Have a goodnight." she quickly bid goodbye and left.

"........Goodnight..." he said quietly although her presence was no longer there.

For a while, he stood there as if waiting for her to return, although he knew she wasn't. What went through his mind was how a piercing pain struck his heart.

Ever so, did he want to have her in his arms, yet he didn't dare as he was too afraid to say those words.

Slowly, he turned away from the entrance and left, making his way to the magistrate's office. There, was his horse along the 3rd prince's, waiting for him.

"With you, I feel like I'm a better person when I can't believe in myself."
.
.
.