Chapter 3

If she was given a second chance to live, then she wanted to know everything from the past to the present.

Why did her family have to die?

Why she was brought back to live again in another's body.

Most importantly, what exactly happened to this Li Mei she resided within?

No one ever talked about or mentioned what happened to her. Whatever it was that occurred that day, it must've been something horrifying, if not sinister.

Sighing to herself, she then settled on one thing.

"Its probably time that I meet Miss Niu Xia."

Arriving at the Niu Manor, Li Mei felt nervous to meet that friend of the past Li Mei. Was she trustworthy or just someone using her? Whatever it is, she'll see through it.

After that horrible past, she was able to sense the air around herself and read others. That was a good and bad thing. It was good that she was able to know past one's face, but it also showed that whatever happened truly changed her forever.

Meeting her outside the carriage as she stepped out was Miss Niu Xia, the sole child of the Prime Minister.

Upon seeing her, she was quite the mature type. The two were both the same age. Li Mei was now more preserved and of course a different person, whereas Niu Xia was seen as an upright Miss who didn't need anyone as she could look after herself.

The woman's face was calm yet worried and happy. She was still concerned about her condition and glad to see her standing before her again. "Li Mei," her voice was gentle. She came forward and hugged her friend. The embrace was warm and felt so lovely in a way. She felt safe in the arms of this friend.

In return, slowly did her arms wrap around her. This person, she was positive she could rely on.

Releasing her memory loss friend, Niu Xia looked at her. Her lips parted but closed before saying her next words.

"Let's go inside shall we? To the garden." she told her friend as snacks and tea were awaiting them there.

"How have you been since awakening?" Miss Niu Xia asked.

"I've been well." Li Mei simply said. "I hope I didn't worry you too much."

The Miss gave a soft smile, "That's good and you've worried me greatly. You're a very important person to me. If you ever left me I'd be devastated." voicing her deep worries with that sorrow-filled expression.

"I swear I won't." she promised her as this time for sure she really wasn't going anywhere.

"But I have a question. No one ever talks about what happened to me. Can you please tell me?" she asked almost pleading.

Niu Xia's brows scrunched thinking about whether or not to tell her.

Li Mei looked at her expression guessing what she possibly felt that moment. She noticed the hesitation on what she should do.

"Was knowing the truth of this Miss that horrible? What exactly happened that everyone seems afraid to even mention it?"

After a short while, the sole Miss of the Niu Manor made her decision on this matter. "I'll tell you." she told giving the first step to her friend.

"Thank you."

"When you visited the palace with your father and brother, you went off alone and became lost. No one knew where you were and a search began. Still, there was no trace of you. However, a month later one of the many men sent to find you, found you in the outskirts of the forest half a mile away from the palace. It was very strange since you were last seen in the palace yet you were so far away. During the week that you were unconscious, a shaman came in to give a reading."

Just hearing that last sentence sent chills up Li Mei's spine.

"Was the condition of this Li Mei so bad that she had to get a reading and simply not just some medicine?"

"The shaman said that you were lost. Everyone in that room became very afraid hearing that." her voice began to shake just mentioning it and so did her eyes as water built up. "She sensed that something foreign had invaded your body. You went into a coma state because of that. We became gravely worried and afraid for you."

She was utterly speechless the moment she finished. Everything was so overwhelming to one's ears. To hear that this woman she resided in had gone through such things that were still unknown and had even become lost?

Her soul must've been what was lost which allowed Ha Lee to come in.

"This can explain why I'm in this Miss' body but what was the 'something foreign?'"

"That's....... that's very hard to take in." she simply said. "I'm sorry that I made everyone worried." she said glumly.

Niu Xia wiped her eyes where tears almost spilled then looked to her. Observing, she just looked at her as if she were a puzzle piece.

"I know you don't remember me or anything but I'll help you catch up." a smile forming upon her lips. Li Mei smiled at that sentence.

It was nice to have a friend again. After all, she never really got to make friends in her past life except one.

She doesn't exactly remember that person's face or name but all she knew was that that person felt like sunshine whenever she was around them.

The two talked on and on, till there was no more.

Niu Xia told her about the time that Li Mei was very naughty as a child and would even tear up her dress and run around naked in the Li Manor, while she hid away in embarrassment of her friend. Hearing this story, Li Mei couldn't help but laugh.

Lastly, she told her a secret that only her friend would know. "So... I actually really admire someone." she says.

The Miss of the Li Manor's eyes shimmered in delight, "Who may that be?" her voice filled with delight.

The Niu Miss just laughed. "We'll save that for another day. He's someone that's....... very protective of their family." giving a hint.

Li Mei just gave a soft chuckle, "Please tell me someday."

Niu Xia returned a laugh indicating that she will one day.

Half the day passed at the Niu Manor and Li Mei was in her carriage making her way home. It was quite a long ride back, giving her time to take everything in and lay it out.

"Li Mei disappeared in the palace and was found half a mile away from where she was last seen in the outskirts of the forest. That's strange indeed. Something foreign in her body..... What could it possibly be that invaded her body and drove her soul out to have me come in?"

Although it was still the beginning, pieces were slowly coming out to light. Only time will tell when the real truth surfaces.
.
.
.