Chapter 28

Walking across the palace grounds in a hurry, was just the Minister of Defense, Jian Li. He was paying a visit to the Mirror Palace of the 3rd prince, Han Yusheng.

Not much people paid mind to this particular prince.

Being a concubine's son, or rather, the last discarded Crown Princess' son, he was ignored.

For these past 18 years, the Sui Kingdom has been at war with the Jin Kingdom. All came down, when the King's half brother, Han Ru, was killed by the 2nd prince of the Jin Kingdom, thus sparking the war.

Now at the doors of his chambers, he announced himself. "Your Highness, I have come to deliver news."

Silence.

"Your Highness, I have come to deliver news." he said once again.

Still, silence answered.

"Pardon the intrusion." deciding to enter.

Opening the doors, he was greeted by an empty room. He sighed to himself as this was always the case whenever he came to the Mirror Palace.

"Your Highness, you wander off too much." he groaned.

At the training grounds was Yusheng having the start of his spar with General Li.

Soldiers crowded around to watch and Li Dai could only pray for his friend that he comes out with minor injuries.

With their blades, the General wanted to see just how much his underling had grown these past years he's been under him.

The prince laughed, "General Li, please don't hold back." his sword screeched against the General's.

"You'd best prepared then." the mid-aged man chuckled.

Three seconds of silence fell upon the grounds, before the sound of clashing swords came.

Charging forward first was the respected man.

Yusheng reading exactly what his next moves were, slid his blade to the ground brushing against it to throw his balance off.

Jumping from the sudden slide of the blade, the prince smirked. Throwing his sword to his left hand, opposite from his dominant, he swung his arm back, meeting swords with the opposer.

The General smiled with fascination, "You can use both hands!....... Marvelous indeed."

The young man laughed as he pushed forward with his blade and kicked his chest.

Stumbling backwards, he didn't waste any time and tightly gripped his sword to charge towards his student. Doing so, his free hand formed into a fist and hit him in the abdomen.

Falling back, he then retracted his steps. Firmly holding his sword, he threw it at his opponent.

Without a struggle, he evaded the thrown weapon and just laughed to himself.

"He's probably reaching his limit for him to just throw it."

However, his judgement was wrong. Without a second to process what was happening, his student was gone, nowhere to be found.

His eyes then widened in shock feeling his presence from the back. Looking behind him, there was Yusheng with his sword in hand.

Bringing his blade to the General's neck, the match came to an end.

It was the moment the man realized what he was doing all along.

Sheathing their swords, everyone looked in awe and surprise at the outcome of the battle. They expected for their Great General to win, but to their dismay the young prince came to the top.

"That last part, you threw your blade to distract me didn't you? You knew I'd focus on the thrown weapon rather than what you'd be doing next." he questioned.

The 3rd prince laughed, "Why yes. You're sometimes too confident in yourself so I took advantage of that."

He smacked the older man's back and walked off. "Next time, I'll also win." he said as he left to Li Dai.

The General looked at gallant prince.

"His future will be bright that's for sure."

Ha Lee hurriedly ran to the Crown Prince's chambers, with a tray that held the porridge she made. Her face was filled with delight as she knew that every time she delivered it, he ate it.

That was likely only because he didn't know it was from her.

Nevertheless, she didn't mind that he wasn't aware of who made it. As long as he enjoyed it, nothing else mattered.

Arriving, what she didn't expect was to see him along with the Queen. She stopped dead in her tracks and smiled awkwardly.

"Greetings Your Majesty and Your Highness." she bowed.

The Queen raised her hand, allowing her to rise. A smile was plastered on her face.

"You're rather cunning aren't you?" the woman spoke.

She became confused and looked up to the Queen, "Your Majesty, I am not sure what you're referring to." she wasn't sure what was going on.

The woman chuckled, "We found the Black Jade Seal of the Realm in your chambers. Crown. Princess."

Her eyes widened and her hands that once held the tray of the porridge, dropped. The fresh supper now covered the floor.

Shirong who stood by, recognized that bowl. It was delivered to him every few days, and something he rather enjoyed.

Her hands shook with fear, "Y-Your Majesty, I-I swear I didn't steal it. I don't even know where the seal is stored let alone even having the slightest thought of taking it."

Slowly, her vision blurred as water filled them. In this situation, she didn't know what to do. She knew what importance and value that seal held however, she would never even dare take it nor have the idea to do so.

"Ha Lee," the Queen called her.

The young woman looked up to her, meeting gazes with eyes that began to tear into her soul, like a falcon clutching it's prey.

"You've disappointed me." a wide smile present on her face.

Those tears she tried so hard to suppress, now streamed down her flushed cheeks. She could feel herself breaking apart inside. The legs that were once joyful to bring her to her one-sided love, were now loosing strength.

Falling to the floor, a quiet sob fell from her.

It was heart wrenching.

Although quiet, her pain seemed to have hurt him, the Crown Prince. He felt a stinging pain in his chest at the sight of her breakdown.

He felt sad.......

Every time he saw her, he ignored her.

Every time they met eyes, he turned away.

Every time she waved to him, he passed her by.

Every time she tried to make conversation, he simply put her off.

Every time she tried to approach him, he walked further away.

But every time she made a smile for him, he couldn't help but feel his heart race.

He didn't know what it was and still doesn't.

He didn't know what to do this moment that she broke down.

He didn't know what to do after this.
.
.
.