Chapter 20

The days that went on in the Treasured Palace were glum, filled with loneliness. Whenever they crossed paths, she always greeted him but he'd ignore her as if she weren't there.

Here in the palace, Ha Lee was on her own.

In her courtyard, she sat alone on the porch, watching as leaves fell from the tree and to the ground.

Each one of those leaves was like a person. They served a purpose in their lives before it ended.

Her hair that was once free of any excess hair accessories, now held hairpins of high value.

As the wind drifted, so did her enduring heart.

Elsewhere, at the Moonlight Palace Queen Qi Ting was having a private meeting with someone. That someone was a relative of hers who had just entered office as the Minister of Personnel, Mo Yaozu.

The woman smiled, "Mo Yaozu, if I heard correctly. You have a daughter about 21 years of age." she stated.

The Minister eyed her, "Yes, Your Majesty."

He felt something come up his sleeve and his lips turned into a smirk.

"Is there someone you want to replace?"

The Queen's eyes looked at him devilishly, as her prey was in already in her hands. All she had to do was bring another piece to finish the game.

"A very naive one that does not belong here. Even if she is the Plum Palace's sole owner."

Yaozu always raised his brow during the talk of that specific palace's owner.

"Your Majesty, why does that palace only belong to her? Shouldn't it be for any Crown Princess?" he questioned.

The woman laughed, "Does it look like I was supposed to be the Crown Princess either? I can never step foot there except for Imperial Concubine Jian Wei." telling of the beginning.

"Every few years when the Crown Princess selection is near, the royal shaman must voice the future King's bride. It is said in the royal scrolls that the Plum Palace grounds is where the Divine Goddess, Daiyu, laid to rest. Although in her slumber, the land still belongs to her. She is to choose the Crown Princess that will reign over her resting place and be the nation's mother. However, there was never word of what could happen if the chosen one didn't claim the land nor become the future King's bride. There is speculation though, that if she does not become Queen or the palace owner, the royal family will face a demon within themselves."

The Minister nearly shivered at her last line. This all the more made this Sui Kingdom's royal family look to be the Divine Goddess' descendants herself.

"What do you mean it's a speculation?" he then questioned.

Her smile still present, she further explained. "It's just something the damn shaman said. It's probably not even true." she simply brushed it off without a care.

The man just sighed inside at his relative's words, but he too didn't really seem to care either. As long as his daughter, Mo Liu, became the Crown Princess, all else didn't matter.

Even if killing someone was to be involved.

Being alone for so long everyday since her arrival, Ha Lee left to the palace garden. At least here, she wouldn't be so alone.

There, she had nature's beauty.

As she sat on the bench, so did a sigh that came from her lips.

"I hope mother, father, and Xueqin visit me soon."

In this foreign place, she knew no one nor did she have any connections. None of the royal members had even visited her nor did the Crown Prince she admired.