Chapter 10

It was a late night in the Mirror Palace.

Han Yusheng sat out on the patio in his night robes and his long hair that's usually tied, hung loose drifting along with the wind.

This night, he could only think about the last time he saw her. That was the day she disappeared, along with his heart.

"If I could go back in time, I would've saved you and your family with everything I had......... Ha Lee, where in the world are you?"

The last time he saw her, was the last time he ever saw that beautiful smile. Her eyes looked happy yet filled with grief, and a smile that felt heartbreaking once you saw it.

As if inside she were filled with chaos.

He sighed heavily just thinking about her. From the moment he met her, he felt a throb in his chest but ignored it. It was only after so much time that had passed, did he realize he had fallen for her, whose heart was already set on his brother, who no less cared for her.

The 3rd prince only stood by her side from the shadows where she couldn't see him, and when he did, he didn't reveal his family background but only his nickname, Feng.

While deep in his thoughts, Li Mei had already entered his chambers coming towards him. She wanted to try and connect with him more since after all, they are a married couple.

"Yusheng," she called him.

He turned, and hearing her call him, felt just like her.

"Hm?" he mumbled.

She sat down beside him in her loose baby blue robes whose material fell into folds as they touched the floor.

"How long have you been known as Commander Yusheng?" a question that lingered.

A sheepish smile appeared on his face. "Just this past year. Your father appointed it to me because I had quite the guts back when I was younger to steal the Sky Arts Scroll off his study." The memory flashed through his mind just reminiscing it.

A soft chuckle came from her lips that then curled into a delightful expression. Her eyes then lowered, remembering something from the past.

"If you could go back in time, what is one thing you would change?" asking another.

His gaze met her's that looked to the night sky.

For a moment he studied her expression before he turned away, giving an answer.

"I would have tried to help her rather than be a powerless prince." he voiced.

If he had spoken up about everything, maybe things would've been different.

Maybe they would have even fallen in love.

"That's really sweet you know. If anything I'm sure she'd be happy knowing that someone out there loved her till the end. If that woman you were waiting for was me, I'd surely return the love you were afraid to show me."

A faint smile appeared on his lips at her response.

It was soothing to his heart how she said she would return the feelings. However, Ha Lee didn't know how he felt before she disappeared. If she were standing here right now, he'd say it before she disappears again.

"How about you? What would you change?" returning the question.

With her turn, she thought of the past and not the fact that she was supposed to play the memory-loss girl.

"I'd have saved everyone that I loved." her voice low but loud enough to hear.

"What?" he was confused upon hearing that.

Her whole family was still alive and well, so what did she mean by that?

Moreover, he wondered why she talked as if she had two identities. One was the hurt soul and the other was the girl who didn't remember anything.

She quickly brushed her words off and replaced them before he could suspect her. "Ah you know, I just wish I was able to save my family from the pain of my disappearance. It really hurt them." changing the whole concept.

He gave a frowned smile, "You know..... when I first met you, although you don't remember. You were so shy." an introduction to his and Li Mei's meeting.

"When you saw me, you would run away, without me even getting the chance to ask why or getting to know you. The first time ever that I was able to talk to you without you running away, was the day you came back to the palace. I was delighted that I was finally able to talk to you." a grin plastered on his face.

"And I must admit, you're charming. I don't know why, but whenever my eyes fall upon you, it feels like the ocean breeze I've been waiting for. It's like if I closed my eyes and fell, I know for sure that breeze would catch me in it's embrace." those words were said as a husband, not a friend.

Li Mei didn't know why but that last line made her heart skip a beat. It was like a wave of warmth that came over, heating her cheeks. Even her eyes looked to be in awe, and expression taken aback.

The prince whose gaze were at the stars, then fell upon her once again. He noticed her flushed cheeks, although she tried to hide it with her loose, untied hair.

Yusheng laughed at her like a child. "What? Are you flattered by this husband of yours?" he teased.

She snapped her head towards his direction with glaring eyes. "I hate you." she spat.

Not even phased by her words, he then pulled her into his arms. His hand fell upon her head, messing up her hair before he laid it to rest.

Yusheng looked to her, whom was still pouting, then to the sky. His smile widened from the delight he received from her.

"You're quite adorable, Li Mei."
.
.
.