Chapter 43

The very next day, Yusheng was given full report by Ning of what he had seen and his speculations. Not only that, the other men that were sent to find out those rumors among female servants, was also given to him.

Sitting before Li Mei, he also explained what he read to her.

"So those rumors are true? How are you so sure?" she questioned.

"That female servant still works here, and we'll be keeping her under our wing for her safety."

"That's good." her eyes then wandered off thinking of something Zihao had informed her earlier.

"What is it?"

"I've actually been suspicious of two men."

His brow raised with wonder, "Tell,"

"Do you know of two men named Liang and Shing?" those were the men she had asked of Zihao to investigate.

"Mm,"

"To be honest I think I saw those two men around the Ha Manor." she lied.

This got his attention.

"This was right when I barely awakened and I was out at night with my mother coming back home from visiting her friend. When we passed by the Ha Manor, which I believe is closed off to the public, I saw those two men. I won't deny what I saw because I'm sure that it was them. They looked like they were trying to hide something."

Her eyes then wandered off to look to him. He looked troubled and almost angry. "Are you alright?" she asked.

"I'm just surprised,"

"Why is that?" she wanted to know.

"Because those two men are the king's personal guards." he spilled.

She gulped, already knowing that fact, "Yes, I know."

"I'll keep a tail on them but let's just hope they don't find out."

Then came a question she had been wanting to ask, "....Can I help in the investigation you're doing?" she asked.

"The reason of your disappearance?"

"No, the investigation of the Ha Family."

Silence came through him. She expected this kind of reaction knowing it was a sensitive topic.

"Why do you want to help?"

"I....I want to know what happened. Ever since that incident, the case of disappearing women occurred along with mines not so long after. I feel as though they're connected somehow."

He gave her a look to continue.

"Don't you think it's weird how they're looking for certain women that look like her only? What if the person who held her captive, unintentionally killed her and wanted her back?" she explained.

This sparked an interest for him. "I actually never thought of that till now." he raised the side of his lips, impressed.

A huff came from her, "Are you proud?"

Chuckles could be heard from him making her smile undoubtedly without even intending to.

Reaching towards her, he messed up her hair, "My wife is a very promising woman." his lips curled.

Her once delightful expression turned into a blushing mess. Blood rushed to her head and she seemed to fall into chaos.

Pulling his hand back, he then cleared his throat. "I'll let you in on the investigation. However, if you get hurt in anyway I will put you off." drawing a line.