F I F T Y - F O U R

Alone

Alone

_____

HAYLEY looked out the window and saw Mia sitting on the porch of the house with Hope on her lap as she told her a story.

"The greatest king happens to be your father, Little Hope," Mia said twirling the child's hair with one finger.

The six-year-old looked up, "He was?" She asked her eyes filled with curiosity and wonder about the whereabouts of her father.

Mia nodded frantically, "He still is," Mia said pointing her finger towards the child's way in a teasing manner.

"If he heard you refer to him as the king in past tense he would be so upset." Mia giggled, as she child blushed in embarrassment.

Mia turned serious again, "I know you're wondering where he is, as a matter of fact, who he is, but just know that not a day goes by that he doesn't think of you." Mia said hugging the girl tighter.

Hope smiled, "And I'm sure he's thinking of you. Mom tells me he was in love with you, whatever that means." Hope says shrugging as the term was foreign to her.

Mia gasped turning to look at Hayley through the window, "Did she? She's spilling my secrets now." Mia said pretending to be hurt.

Hayley only smiled, winking at her friend in a teasing manner before going back to making Hope's snack.

"When is he coming back?" Hope asked, shifting Mia's mood completely.

"What?"

Hope sat up before turning to face Mia, "When is my dad coming back?"

Mia inhaled sharply, thinking of the right words to say. She took a deep breath and exhaled calmly before giving Hope a small smile, "I don't know when, but what I do know is that he is. That I can promise you." Mia said kissing her forehead.

"Thank you, momma." Hope said ruffling Mia's now shorter hair. Mia chuckled watching her run inside to no doubt pick up her snack from Hayley.

Mia stood up, fixing her hair and walked to the barn where Hayley and Mia kept the things no child should ever touch.

The warm feeling in Mia's chest increased as she thought of the sweet girl, who insisted on calling her mom as well because she and Hayley were all she knew growing up the past few years.

Mia's phone began to ring, and she quickly reached towards her back pocket before answering it, "Speak." She said coldly.