S E V E N T Y - N I N E

The Kindness Of Strangers

_

In New Orleans the dead cannot be buried. Instead, the dead are out in boxes above ground clustered together. When a man passes on, his family tomb is cracked open, old bones are shoved aside to make room for the fresh remains. Bloodlines rot, entangled.

The houses are that way, too. Layer upon layer of peeling paint hiding little tragedies. Scorch marks from the fires. Waterlines on wallpaper. These are the tombs of the living where we rot alongside memories of our dead, crowded with the people we have failed and those who have failed us. We are forced to struggle with those we love.

"Every last exit is sealed," Elijah said once he saw Klaus and Mia overlooking the balcony in their old room.

"If you're thinking of jumping don't, I already tried. I landed in the worlds most pretentious wine cellar." He said making Mia gasp.

"You sorted out by vintage. You don't remeber do you?" Klaus asked as he scanned his brothers face trying to find some familiar part of himself.

"I thought Marcel was intent on retrieving your memories." Klaus said making Mia's ears perk up.

"He was, he failed. I still remember absolutely nothing and Antionette is still dying." Elijah said making Mia sigh and sit back down.

"Is she? Right yes we'd forgotten about her. My son should have killed her in France." Mia said coldly.

Elijah took a step towards her, on that Klaus Inter bed. "Lay a finger on her and I'll make sure your beloved girlfriend suffers a fate far worse than death."

"What the hell are we doing here, what is this place?! This is dangerous, you and I here together." Elijah said impatiently.

Mia sighed dramatically, "Listen newborn, we aren't actually here together. Our minds are in the same place but our bodies lie in different places throughout the city." Mia said standing up.

Elijah stared at her, "I think I know why i loved you."

"In more ways than one." Klaus mumbled, angry.

Mia ignored him, "I was your best friend." She said trying to hide her sadness. "Now your just as dead to me as your girlfriend." She said coldly shoving him against the wall.

"If this is your doing, us being here, I'll end you." She threatened. Elijah pushed her, "Do what you want to me but give her the cure."