31

KINGDOM FALL
— 31. A Mother's Love

   After the trial by combat, Annalys rushed to her room with Podrick following soon after her, unlike the rest of their usual group of four that included Lady Jeyne and Bronn

   He immediately helped Annalys out of her armor, leaving her in a loose shirt and trousers, but it made it extremely visible that she was pregnant. On her table laid numerous plates of food, leading to Annalys rushing over to it. She felt starving, which led to her stuffing her face with foods. She hadn't eaten the entire day, refusing to let herself get sick during the trial by combat.

Just then, Cersei walked into Annalys' room, looking furious after witnessing what Annalys had done during the trial by combat. Annalys turned to her mother, a fake smile on her face, "Mother--" She began to greet Cersei, only to be cut off by her mother roughly slapping her across the face.

   Annalys gasped in pain, her face whipping to the side as her body reacted to the hard slap. She slowly turned her head to look her mother in the eye once more, a hint of shame in her eyes.

  Podrick, who had been pouring Annalys a glass of water, immediately stopped what he was doing as Cersei slapped Annalys, but didn't say a word.

Annalys couldn't believe it. Her mother had slapped her. She couldn't say she didn't deserve it, but it was the fact that Cersei had actually slapped her.

  By the force of the slap, Annalys knew her mother had been dying to do it for quite at while. She was angry with Annalys, she knew that much.

Annalys was taken aback by it, however. Cersei had never raised a hand to her. She recalled Cersei slapping Joffrey in the face once or twice, when he got too nasty with her, but Annalys had never met the same fate. She really couldn't believe it.

"Are you mad?" Cersei asked through her gritted teeth, angrily glaring at her eldest daughter, "You could've gotten yourself killed!"

    Annalys slowly lifted her head, removing her hand from clutching her cheek as she recovered from the slap, "People ask me that question a lot lately," She sarcastically responded, clearly wanting to avoid the subject of her recklessness, it was a argument that Cersei would most definitely win in, "I'm starting to think so."

"This isn't a joke, Annalys!" Cersei shouted at her daughter, who immediately knew by her tone of voice that something was wrong, "Your grandfather allowed you back here and now he's hoping to send you to Casterly Rock earlier than planned. He wants you to rule in his stead until he dies and then continue to do so even after."

Hearing Cersei's revelation, Annalys' eyes widened in alarm. She knew for a fact she couldn't be there when Robb laid siege to Casterly Rock. She needed to be in King's Landing, to protect her family.

Genuine tears beginning to form in her eyes, Annalys took a step toward her mother, "Please don't let him send me there, Mother," She pleaded, looking almost fearful, "Please, I beg of you."