86

KINGDOM FALL
— 86. For the Watch

 For the Watch

Just days later, the Iron Fleet had arrived at Eastwatch by the Sea. Annalys had a talk with Euron that Robb was unable to figure out. She refused to tell him what it was about, but whatever it had been, Euron looked happy. It worried Robb, to say the least.

What had she said to him? It couldn't have been that she called off their betrothal. If it had been, he wouldn't have reacted so positively.

She never told Robb and instead, she led the Wildlings to the Northern Gate of Castle Black. Torra, Robb, Jon, Tormund, Wun-Wun, Karsi stood with her, along with almost seventy thousand wildlings standing with them.

Despite only losing about two thousand, Annalys still felt guilty. She had been there to save them and now, two thousand of them were dead, including Freyja, their queen.

On the top of the Wall, Alliser looked down at the group. Jon, the newly-elected Lord Commander and Annalys, the Queen of the Westerland were the ones to step forward. Alliser stared down at the for a moment, hesitant to let them in. He glared at them, just before speaking up, "Open the gates," He told the men standing with them and soon enough, the lower gate was lifted, much to everyone's relief.

Moments later, the Wildlings were being escorted through Castle Black while Annalys stood with Jon, Robb, and Sam.

"It was a failure," Annalys suddenly spoke up, causing the group to turn to her in confusion.

"What are you talking about, Annalys?" Jon questioned Annalys, frowning in concern, "It wasn't."

"I promised to save them and thousands died," Annalys complained, a saddened look on her face.

"You saved thirty times what you lost, don't understand that?" Robb asked Annalys, trying to cheer her up, "You're their savior. They'll forever be indebted to you."

Annalys shook her head, remaining silent as she watched the Wildlings crowd up Castle Black, much to Alliser Thorne's anger.

"You didn't fail him, or him, or her," Sam spoke up as he pointed to each Wildling that passed them, "Every one of them is alive because of you, and no one else."

"Yes, and because of that, more than half of the men of the Night's Watch despise me," Annalys remarked, turning their head to see many of the Night's Watch glaring at Annalys hatefully.

Olly exchanged a long look with Annalys from the top of the stairs, clearly unhappy with what she had done, despite growing to like her during her time there.