29

KINGDOM FALL
29. A Sister's Love

       Oberyn sat outside in the gardens, writing on a scroll

    Oberyn sat outside in the gardens, writing on a scroll. His attention went elsewhere when he turned his head to see Annalys enter, Lannister guards standing alongside her. She looked to be annoyed by that and Oberyn knew right away that the Lord Tywin must have insisted on them being there.

He wanted to laugh at the sheathed sword hanging at Annalys' side, despite her wearing a long dress. Her hair was styled like her mother's, yet the sword at her side reminded Oberyn of Jaime.

He knew for a fact the "rumors" of Cersei and Jaime would never go away, not while Annalys was parading around the way she was. She was a spitting image of both Cersei and Jaime. Nothing would ever change that and only a fool wouldn't see it.

Oberyn wasted no time turning to face Annalys, who walked closer to her while the Lannister guards remained several feet away from them.

"Your Grace." Oberyn greeted Annalys, bowing his head to the Lannister woman.

Annalys smiled slightly at what he called her, but didn't bother to mention it like she did last time, "Prince Oberyn," She greeted the man, just before gesturing down the piece of paper laid out on the table in front of them, "Writing letters, I see."

"A poem, actually." He informed Annalys, quickly glancing down at the piece of paper as he ran his fingers over it.

"May I show you the gardens?" She suddenly asked Oberyn, who immediately looked back over at her, seeming to be hesitant, "I insist, Prince Oberyn."

Oberyn was hesitant for a moment to walk through the gardens with Annalys. He had no clue what she was up to. He knew she wasn't like the rest of the Lannisters in King's Landing, but she was still a Lannister. She was always up to something, whether it be for good or bad intentions.

After a long moment, Oberyn finally found himself nodding, just before the two of them headed into the gardens to take a long walk together.

As they walked through the gardens, the Lannister soldiers followed several feet behind. 

"I've heard many stories of the Red Viper over the years, but never once was I told that you were a poet, Prince Oberyn." Annalys remarked, breaking the silence between them as she smiled.

"Not a very good one," Oberyn replied, causing them both to quietly chuckle.

"I'm sure you're better than me." Annalys commented, recalling her horrible writing skills.

"Why's that?" Oberyn questioned and Annalys tensed up.

She didn't know if it was wise to talk about her childhood. Her grandfather seemed to be always reminding her lately that it wasn't smart to tell anyone of the truth. She usually didn't. She never spoke it to anyone. It made her feel stupid.