39

KINGDOM FALL
— 39. Westeros' New Princess

    Weeks soon passed and Annalys had been confined to her room, seeing as though she had just given birth and the funeral to her grandfather was over

One day, she couldn't take it anymore and knew if she wanted to stay sane, she needed to take some type of walk around the castle. She yearned for a moment of alone time, which she hadn't gotten since Robb arrived at King's Landing with Stannis.

After feeding her children, Annalys carried their sleeping bodies into the room connected to her temporary chambers. She opened the door and placed them down in their shared crib. She turned on her heel, closing the door to their small nursery before she headed toward the door to her chambers.

She opened the door, giving orders to the guards that had been posted outside her door. She told them to keep watch and to not let anyone in, just before she began to walk throughout the castle that had once been her home.

The place was so familiar to her. She had been born there and she had been raised there. However, standing there now, the place looked foreign to her. Especially the people. None of the people she walked passed looked familiar. She didn't know any of them.

Not a single one.

She wondered where the people who used to live in the castle went after Stannis took the throne. Had they been executed? Did they escape? It was unknown to her and as much as she shouldn't have cared, she found herself still doing so.

Annalys turned a corner, only to come face to face with Grey Wind. Grey Wind growled at first, only to realize who she was. He whined at the sight of her and Annalys slowly began to smile, feeling happy to see the direwolf after so many months.

  She extended her hand out, allowing Grey Wind to step forward and sniff, "Hey, boy," She nervously chuckled, kneeling on the ground in front of the large direwolf.

He had grown since she last saw him, that was for sure. She didn't think it was possible, but it seemed as though Grey Wind was twice the size he had been the last time she had seen him.

With their faces close together, Grey Wind wasted no time licking Annalys' face as she petted him. She laughed happily, tightly hugging Grey Wind.

She began to smile, feeling a sort of comfort with Grey Wind. Grey Wind was just as much Annalys' as he was Robb's. They had raised him together ever since Annalys arrived at Winterfell with her family years before. As Grey Wind matured, it had been Annalys who helped Robb to feed and care for the direwolf.

"You have no idea how much I've missed you, bud." She whispered to Grey Wind softly, a smile on her face.

Just then, Annalys' attention went elsewhere as she heard the sound of a young girl singing. She frowned in confusion, immediately standing up from kneeling on the ground.