30

KINGDOM FALL
— 30. Trial by Combat

     A fortnight later, it was finally time for the trial by combat

A fortnight later, it was finally time for the trial by combat. Lady Jeyne stood off to the side, watching uneasily as Annalys gulped down an entire glass of wine. She wasn't supposed to drink as much as she did while withchild, they learned that in one of the books they read. However, Jeyne also knew that Annalys deserved it. She wasn't at her full potential while pregnant. Jeyne still couldn't understand why the hell Annalys was fighting in the first place. It was most likely the dumbest thing she had ever seen Annalys do and she had seen a lot.

"You are by far the dumbest Lannister of them all and I've met Jaime," Bronn complained as he walked over to Annalys, looking annoyed, "Jaime wants my head on a spike right now. I'm supposed to stop you from doing shit like this."

"Jaime must not know me at all if he thinks you'll be able to talk me out of my stupid decisions. That's something no one alive can do," She commented, causing Jeyne to quietly laugh at how true the statement was.

On her own, Annalys began to secure her armor. Before she could continue to do so, Podrick rushed over from where he stood, trying to help her, "What are you doing?" She asked him in annoyance, causing Podrick to give her a puzzled look.

"Helping you with your armor. I'm your squire," Podrick responded, only to notice the glare Annalys gave him.

He slowly backed up, not knowing what she was going to do, "I'm been putting my own armor on for almost four years, Podge. I don't think I need help," She snapped at him, only to have her eyes soften when she noticed he looked a bit hurt.

She was constantly rude to him, every time he tried to help her. Annalys was just realizing it and she couldn't help but feel bad. She might have had the need to always be independent, but that didn't mean she needed to be rude to him, "Sorry," She apologized to him softly, "I'm just frustrated right now," She paused, letting out a small sigh, "Help me with these straps, Podrick."

Podrick's eyes practically lit up at the command. He smiled, moving closer to Annalys as he helped her with the straps of the armor. Bronn rolled his eyes at how fancy the armor was. It was something he expected Jaime to wear. She was her father's daughter, there was no doubt about that.

"Starting tomorrow, I'm going help you train, Podge," Annalys decided, much to every one's shock, "An hour each day, we'll train with swords. It's time you learn how to truly fight. I've been stalling for far too long."

"Yes, My Princess," Podrick politely replied, nodding his head.

"You sound so confident about winning," A familiar voice spoke up, causing the entire group to turn their heads to find Cersei standing before them. She looked directly at Annalys, narrowing her eyes at Annalys, "End this madness, quit the trial. You shouldn't be doing this."