79

KINGDOM FALL
— 79. Brandon Stark

    That afternoon, Annalys spent hours sitting with Freyja, explaining everything

That afternoon, Annalys spent hours sitting with Freyja, explaining everything. Freyja was intrigued by it all and continued to ask questions. Annalys didn't know why. The Free Folk life seemed far more interesting.

"Living South of the Wall seems crazy," Freyja commented after a long while of listening to Annalys talk.

She stared at Annalys intently, taking in everything she said. Annalys noticed the way Freyja stared at her and Annalys was unable to describe it. It wasn't love. It wasn't infatuation. It was fascination. From what Annalys could tell, Freyja was absolutely fascinated by the lives and customs of people South of the Wall. She had an interest in it that no other member of the Free Folk had. Annalys also knew if Freyja's people found out about her interest in "kneelers", it wouldn't end well for her. For that reason, Annalys continued to answer her questions, but wouldn't dare mention it outside her tent.

Annalys smiled at Freyja, despite feeling uneasy, "It's not. Not everyone's life is like mine," She admitted, causing the Wilding woman to smile.

"Where will we live?" Freyja found herself asking Annalys to most important question, "Me and the Free Folk."

"Presumably just South of the Wall," Annalys informed Freyja in a calm tone, "But that's only if Robb agrees. If not, I'll have to bring you to the Westerlands. You might not enjoy the heat, but if you want to live, you'll have to deal with it."

"Robb Stark, you mean," Freyja remarked and Annalys nodded in response, "Your husband."

"Former husband, remember?" Annalys reminded Freyja, who nodded in response.

"Right," Freyja replied in an almost sarcastic tone, "The annulment."

Annalys chuckled at Freyja, "Exactly," She responded, only to have her smile fade soon after, "After he figures out what I'm doing, I have a feeling Robb will be done with me. For good. I've done things in the past. I've been selfish. I've betrayed him. I've constantly hurt him. After he learns I've headed North of the Wall, I believe he'll never forgive me," She confessed, a saddened look on her face, "I love him, more than anything, but something tells me we'll never work."

Annalys sighed in defeat, lying down on the fur bed they were sitting on. She laid on her side and soon enough, Freyja laid down next to her, the two of them facing each other, "Why's that?" She asked Annalys curiously.

"I've hurt him far too many times. All I do seems to hurt him. I do things he doesn't agree with, but because he loves me, he agrees with me anyway. I'm ruining everything about him that makes him Robb Stark, the King in the North and the son of the honorable Ned Stark," She confessed, tears beginning to form in her eyes as she shook her head, "I don't want to do that to him. I don't want to ruin him more than I already have. He could be a great king and a great husband to a lovely, obedient woman, but I seem to always ruin both of those things for him."