20

KINGDOM FALL
— 20. The Truth

    That night, Annalys soon found Jaime sitting in the gardens alone, clearly having enough of the celebration that would most likely last all night if Joffrey had his way

That night, Annalys soon found Jaime sitting in the gardens alone, clearly having enough of the celebration that would most likely last all night if Joffrey had his way. Since Annalys had gone with Tywin to receive his gift, Joffrey had taken control of Annalys' name day feast, making it all about him.

Annalys refused to deal with it and instead of returning to the feast as she was expected to, Annalys decided to take a walk through the gardens, where she found her father as she hoped to.

A smile on her face, Annalys walked up to Jaime, showing off her sword, "He actually gave it to you, huh?" Jaime asked, an impressed look on his face.

"That he did. Can't wait to piss Joffrey off with it." Annalys commented, a menacing look on her face that told Jaime she wasn't joking, but that was kind of expected.

"You will. That's the more expensive one." Jaime responded, much to Annalys' confusion, "He plans to give your brother the shitty one."

"Why would grandfather give Joffrey, the king, the shittier one?" Annalys questioned Jaime, frowning.

"Because you're the heir to Casterly Rock. The moment he dies, you lead the Westerlands as Lady Paramount and you control its armies," Jaime explained and Annalys' eyes widened.

At that moment, she realized something she hadn't before. If she killed Tywin, Robb wouldn't have to take it. The armies would rightfully be hers and she'd have even more to give to the North. Once she made her alliance with Dorne and the Reach, she'd have the armies of the South, Stannis' armies, the North, the Westerlands, the Stormlands, the North, and the Riverlands. It would mean the only ones against her would be the Crownlands itself, seeing as though the Iron Islands were still in open rebellion and the Vale of Arryn would surely side with her.

Annalys shook her head slightly, finding herself unable to bring herself to actually plan the death of her grandfather. She had gained his favor since arriving. He was no longer her enemy, he practically thought them to be equals. How could she kill him?

"You okay?" Jaime suddenly asked his daughter, snapping her out of her thoughts.

"I'm fine. But why would Grandfather give me Casterly Rock after everything I've done?" Annalys questioned, a concerned look on her face.

"Many reasons. I refused. Tyrion's known as the Imp. Joffrey's busy being king, and Tommen's too young. He's been testing you every time you've spoken to him. Somehow, you've left an impression on him. The song was the last test and you passed." He explained to Annalys, who frowned in confusion.