48

KINGDOM FALL
— 48. The Legend of Annalys Lannister

 The Legend of Annalys Lannister

FIVE YEARS PRIOR
KING'S LANDING

     A fortnight before they were due to leave with the royal family and head for Winterfell, Annalys and Jaime stood in the dragon pits of King's Landing. She had been sixteen at the time, having no clue what was in store for her in the future. No one did.

    Just like every other day at noon since the age of ten, Annalys sparred with Jaime in the dragon pits. There were many reasons why Jaime chose to spend more two hours every day for nearly seven years teaching Annalys how to use numerous kinds of weapons.

He wanted her to prepare her for whatever the future had in store for her. He knew that sooner or later, Robert Baratheon would have her married off and there'd be nothing he could do about it. He wanted to teach Annalys how to defend herself before that could happen.

Another reason was because he enjoyed spending time with Annalys. After all, she was his firstborn child. He didn't know that Annalys knew that, though. He still thought she was oblivious to the truth. If only he knew. 

Jaime pointed his sword directly at Annalys, circling around her with a daring look on his face. "Defend yourself." He ordered in a stern tone, encouraging her to start the fight.

Annalys showed no fear as Jaime wasted no time driving his sword at her at full force.  She seen it coming. His actions were always the same each time they fought, unlike hers.

  Annalys immediately jumped back, however, moving to the side before Jaime's sword had time to reach her. She returned the favor, pressing the attack. She swung, but Jaime quickly dodged it as well.

  Jaime slashed his sword at Annalys, who ducked and grabbed Jaime by the elbow, pushing him back as she dodged his form of attack.

Jaime laughed, clearly not expecting Annalys to be so quick with her actions, "Very good. I'm impressed." He complimented the girl as they continued to exchange attacks.

Soon enough, Annalys' sword nearly slashed Jaime across the neck. His eyes widened at how close her sword was to his neck and he quickly bent backwards a bit to avoid the blade of the sharp weapon.

He laughed in astonishment, absolutely impressed by Annalys' skills. She smiled at his reaction, proud that she was proving to be just as good as him.

"You've gotten better since our last sparring match. Have you been practicing without me, niece?" Jaime questioned Annalys in a mocking tone, earning a playful eyeroll from her.