56

KINGDOM FALL
— 56. The Bolton Bastard

A fortnight later, Annalys rode her horse into the middle of an open field, Robb directly across from her, riding his own horse

A fortnight later, Annalys rode her horse into the middle of an open field, Robb directly across from her, riding his own horse. His mother and Gretjon Umber were with him, along with some of his other men.

Annalys, however, stood alone with her men. Jaime would usually stand at her side in such things, but he wasn't there, of course. Edric would have been with her, but she forced him to stay in Casterly Rock for once.

"Have you come for the trial?" Robb questioned Annalys curiously, noticing how she only had about ten men with her while he had at least fifty.

"No," Annalys replied in a confident tone, "I've come for an exchange."

"What exchange?" Robb asked, not having the slightest clue what Annalys was getting at.

"Your brother for my father." Annalys responded calmly, much to Robb's confusion.

He turned her head, exchanging a look with his mother before he looked back over at Annalys, "Why would you have Jon?" He frowned, furrowing his eyebrows in confusion.

Annalys' eyes lit up at Robb's question, finding herself quietly laughing, "Oh, I'm not talking about Jon." She told Robb, much to his confusion.

He watched Annalys climbed off her horse, turning on her heel. She walked towards where two of her men stood, dragging three people with bags covering their faces along with them.

Annalys turned back to face Robb, the men bringing the hostages with them as they followed her. "Get off your horse," Annalys ordered in a stern tone.

"Who are you to tel--" Robb began to argue, only to have Annalys cut him off.

"I said, get off your horse, Robb," She repeated her command, her tone stern and strict, "Now."

Robb turned to look down at the unknown hostages. He had no clue who they were, but he needed to know. He found himself sighing in defeat, just before he climbed off his horse.

He looked ahead, Annalys standing about fifteen feet away from him, "I have a few gifts," She informed Robb, a slight smirk on her face as she revealed the first hostage to be Theon.

Robb loudly gasped, his eyes widening in utter disbelief, "How did you--" He began to ask, shocked that Annalys had been able to do something that he hadn't even thought was possible.

"I'm not done," Annalys interrupted Robb, removing Osha and Rickon's bags. The entire group standing with Robb were stunned speechless. Catelyn's eyes began to fill with tears at the sight of her youngest son. It had been nearly five years since she last saw him.

Catelyn went to rush forward, only to have Greatjon Umber grab her by the arm, not having the slightest clue what Annalys might to do.

Just then, the entire group watched as Annalys unsheathed her dagger and lifted it to show Robb. Alarmed, Robb was about to rush forward, only to watch as she casually cut the ropes that were tied around Osha and Rickon's wrists.