Chapter eleven

It was the next morning. Magnus was about to finish his shift but before that he had to check on all his patients. Later that evening, there was a chemical explosion in a laboratory so it has been a busy night. "Good morning.", Magnus greeted as he entered the wake up room to check on Stephen Underhill, the biker. "Good morning.", Underhill replied. Magnus had to keep him in the wake up room the entire night because of the many patients from the explosion. "Now, we gotta find you a room.", He said.  After a few minutes he got back:" Okay so apparently we have no single rooms left. I will finish my morning checkup and find a room for you, then I'll be back. I am sorry you have to wait in here for duh a long time. We are just full at the moment." Underhill nodded:" It's okay. I don't mind, actually, so there's no rush." Magnus nodded, smiling:" Okay, so rest your arm and I'll be back later. The nurses with the breakfast will arrive soon." "Okay.", Stephen replied. Then doctor Bane left. A few patients later he arrived at room 275- his favourite room. It was Alec's. Carefully, he knocked at the door. As he didn't hear a response, he knocked again. Silence. He took a quick look at his watch- it was already quarter to nine, usually Alec was awake at this time. As Magnus was worried, he entered the room. Alec lied there in his bed, like usual. He seemed to be asleep, but the monitors next to his bed proofed Magnus wrong. He was awake, just probably close to sleeping. Magnus looked around- he didn't see Jace's leather jacket or Izzy's bright red bag. Visiting hours started fifteen minutes ago, they would usually already have arrived. He approached Alec. " Hey?", He whispered. No reaction. Magnus stroke Alec's hand:" Hey, Alec." Usually, he wouldn't do that. He wouldn't just touch a patient or enter a patients room without getting allowed to do so. But this was different. Alec was different. Their relationship developed: it wasn't only a doctor and his patient, they were like friends. Close ones. In those five days Alec already spent at the hospital they talked a lot and that made them friends so quickly. Alec groaned. Something must be wrong. "Hold in a second.", Magnus whispered and checked all the monitors, his infusions and the medicine he was given. Here he saw it. In the box all of Alec's pills have been kept were no more painkillers left. Magnus grabbed some boxes and took a closer look at them. All the pills had a lower dose than before. It was obvious why Alec seemed to feel so bad, then. But who did this? Magnus didn't do it himself, so he decided to call Raphael who luckily got to his phone immediately. "Mags? What's wrong?" Magnus couldn't help but chuckle- this was typical. Raphael knew when Magnus was calling, something was wrong. Usually he was more of a texting-guy. "It's about Alec. Someone decreased the dose of his meds and removed almost all the painkillers from his box. Do you have any idea how this happened? Because I didn't do it." "Well, I did.", Raphael responded, "Asmodeus told me to. He said we shouldn't be giving him so much medcine-it will only make it harder for him." Magnus almost dropped his phone:" What?? Are you serious?" Asmodeus was not only Magnus' father, but also the Head doctor of the entire hospital when it comes to accident medicine. If Asmodeus said something, it had to be done. That was a rule. Still, he was shocked. Why did Asmodeus suddenly start to care about Magnus' patients? Usually he let his son do his own thing but here? "Okay, thank you.", Magnus said and hung up. Then he got to Alec again and touched his patient's forehead. It was sweaty and warm. "Hey. I know you must feel terrible at the moment, but it's for your own good. I wasn't informed about the changes in your medication, but you are given very little painkillers at the moment, there's no need to worry." Alec groaned:" okay, then." Magnus got to the fridge in the room and grabbed a cooling pack. He wrapped a towel around it and placed it onto Alec's forehead. Alec sighed:" Thank you." "No problem.", Magnus replied. Quickly he measured his temperature and found out Alec had a slight fever. That wasn't too much of a bad sign, especially considering the circumstances. Then, he left Alec and grabbed his private phone. Alec gave him Isabelle's phone number so he could reach her in case something is wrong. He was about to dial her number, but then he decided to talk to Asmodeus first. Maybe there was something that could explain his behaviour and helped Alec. After some minutes, he knocked at the door of his father's office. "Come in.", Asmodeus said. Magnus did as he was told and sat down on his father's opposite. "What's up?", Asmodeus asked as if nothing ever happened. "Alexander Lightwood, a victim from a car crash who was brought in there five days ago." Asmodeus nodded:" I remember this case. It seemed to be very tragic. It's your patient, right?" Magnus nodded:" He is. Today I found him very exhausted and definitely in a lot of pain so I had a look at the meds and realized all the painkillers were gone and all the other meds were dosed not as high as they were when I checked. I called Raphael and he told me you told him to do that- why?" Asmodeus grinned:" I didn't even had a single doubt you would ask that. He seems to mean a lot to you, right?" "He does. Bit that's not the answer to my question.", Magnus answered. "You know, relationships between doctors and their patients are difficult. You shouldn't be doing what you are doing.", Asmodeus said. "ANSWER MY QUESTION, WILL YOU?", Magnus shouted. His father was driving him crazy. "I did this exactly to get this reaction from you. You are loosing your mind, this is dangerous for you and your patient. Now you see it yourself." Magnus' eyes widened:" That was your fzcking reason to do that to him? His body is still very weak, you had no idea what could have happened?!", Magnus replied. It was hard for him to stay calm. "It's fine. His body should adapt to the condition, anyways. Tell him and his family it was because his body should start to deal with the real pain.", Asmodeus said. "You're unbelievable.", Magnus said and slammed the door shut.

-----------------------------------------------
Heyyyy so this was a pretty long chapter UWU I hope you liked it🤭 let me know what you think!