Chapter thirty-two

Alec was waken up by the ringing of his alarm.  Quickly he reminded himself of the doctors' appointment he had soon. As usually, he rolled onto his back and scrolled through his messages. "Hey, don't forget your appointment today. XOXO.", Isabelle texted him. He replied with a smiling emoji and scrolled through the rest of his messages until he discovered a message from Magnus saying he will come home later because there was an emergency at work. He sighed. Waking up without Magnus by his side was always making the day worse. He rolled over and struggled out of bed. His appointment was in about two hours, he knew he had to get ready and then take the subway to the doctors office. It wasn't far so he decided not to call a cab. The weather was good and he was really glad because the forecast said it would rain all day. Alec quickly made himself a peanut butter and jelly toast and brewed some tea. Meanwhile he scrolled through his Instagram. When he finished breakfast the put on some jeans and a shirt. He grabbed the keys and locked the door and made his way to the subway station. He was actually happy that he threw on a jacket because it was surprisingly cool outside. He wasn't much of an autumn-person, he really preferred winter because there it really was cold and snowy. The leaves were colorful and the wet pavement felt slippery underneath his crutches. He felt as if he was about to slip all the time. Then he finally saw the subway sign. Luckily, the escalator worked so Alec got down to the train tracks easily. Just on time, his subway arrived and he made his way to the doctors office. It was quite crowded but luckily some guy offered him a seat. He took his phone and checked his messages. "I will be home soon.", Magnus texted. "Okay, see you then.", Alec replied and leaned back in his seat. When he took a critical look on his watch he realized how long Magnus has actually been gone. He decided to talk to him about that later. Some minutes later he arrived at the station he needed and made his way through the crowd to get to the exit. He was only one subway station away from his workplace so he knew the district pretty well. Today the doctor would do some checks and hopefully allow Alec to finally go to work again. As he left the subway he could already see the doctors' office so he managed to arrive there even a little early. To his surprise the waiting room was almost empty and the nurse called him into one of the treatment rooms immediately. There he quickly texted Izzy and Magnus that he arrived and it wasn't for long until the doctor came in. "Hello, it's mister Lightwood, right?", he asked and shook Alec's hand. "Yes, that's correct.", Alec replied. The doctor seemed nice so he relaxed immediately. "You are one of doctor Magnus Banes patients, right?", he asked. Alec nodded, trying not to blush. Luckily, the doctor didn't notice anything. "Good, he mailed me your file so I have all the information here. First of all I would like to X-ray your thorax and thigh just to check on the progress." Alec nodded and followed him to the the X-ray room where he laid down onto the couch, the leather cold against his skin. He already knew what was going to happen so he wasn't nervous at all. Some minutes later they were done and Alec was asked to wait for the results. Meanwhile, the doctor continued asking questions. He asked about the medication Alec was currently on, about how he felt and also about his job. "I'm an estate agent.", Alec replied. The doctor grinned:" Funny, my daughter is too. But that's usually not a physically hard job. Before I promise you anything though, I have to see the X-rays." Alec nodded understandingly. The doctor palpated his abdominal area and noted some stuff down. Some minutes later the X-ray results were ready. "Okay, let's see.", the doctor said and pinned them against the plain white board in the treatment room. "So, this is the thigh, and here you can see the crack." Then he pinned another X-ray picture against it. "And this was the picture that was taken that night at the hospital. You can still see a slight crack but it definitely healed well. It really is doing good and I think you will get rid of your crutches in ten days or something." Alec smiled brightly. He really hated them. The doctor removed the pictured from the board and replaced them with the pictures of Alec's thorax. The doctor frowned:" Okay, so the ribs are also healing pretty well but when I palpated your thorax you still said it was painful which means the thoracic contusion hasn't healed very well. But that is not too bad, I guess your body just needs some more time." Alec felt a slight disappointment- he really hoped he could go to work again. He was so sick of doing nothing all day. The doctor must have noticed the disappointment on Alecs face. "This still doesn't mean you can't go to work, mister Lightwood. I will very much downgrade your pain medication so you can really feel your body and then you can decide whether you can to go to work or not. I would absolutely recommend to wait a few days to adapt to the new pain killers but if you then take it slowly, I see no problem in going to work again." Alec smiled brightly:" Thank you." "You're welcome.", the doctor said and they shook hands. Alec grabbed the recipe the doctor passed him with the new meds on them and carefully placed it into his wallet. He knew he would have to go to the pharmacy afterwards to get the pills. "Bye!", he said to the nurse and finally stepped out to the cool autumn air. Finally, he thought.