Chapter fifty-five

Magnus was devastated. None of the patients matched Alec yet and they were running out of time. Suddenly, Cat stormed into Magnus' room. "We have to talk. Your results are there." Magnus frowned. He really didn't care about what was going on with him at the moment. In fact, all he cared about was Alec. "Is it urgent?", He asked. He would rather look through the files again to make sure nobody has overseen anything. "Hell yes it is, Bane. Follow me." Magnus rolled his eyes and followed his friend to the main doctor's office. He felt drained, as if the fear has captured all his emotions, as if the worrying exhausted him beyond his own limits. Every second he wasn't helping Alec was a second closer to the one thing Magnus couldn't possibly bear: losing Alec. "Magnus, I'll jump right in it.", Cat said as she made him sit down in der office. Unlike usual, he was on the patient's side of the desk now. "You have a very rare case concerning your blood. There are a few people in this world that have two blood types. That means that there is an approximately equal amount of blood particles of two different blood types. This is either the case if you've got a blood transplant from someone who has lots of blood particles with another blood type than yours or if you've absorbed a twin with a different blood type in your mother's womb. In your case I think option two is a lot more likable, but it doesn't matter. The only thing that matters is that your dominant blood type, which is carried by a little more than half of your blood particles doesn't match Alec, but the recessive one which is carried by a little less than half of your blood particles would be a perfect match." Magnus inhaled sharply:" Does that mean...?" "Yes.", Cat nodded, "It means that as for now it looks like you're the only chance he has got. But, I have to earn you, it's not a very good one. A little more than half of the blood particles don't match him, his body may reject the kidney and like that you will have lost your kidney and he hasn't got a new one. In fact, if it would go wrong it would weaken Alec. And she to his current condition it may be that it would weaken him too much. Too much to wake up." Magnus bit his lip. It was a huge risk. Not only for him, but also for Alec. And Alec was all he cared about so he was willing to do anything if that meant there was a slight chance to save Alec. He wanted him to take the chance. Because as harsh as it sounded, if he wouldn't take the kidney he would be dead in less than 48 hours. And if he takes Magnus' there at least was a chance he would survive this. He had to convince him. "Thank you. I'll go talk to him.", Magnus said and stood up. "Magnus?", Cat asked and Magnus whirled around. "Are you sure you want this?" Magnus swallowed:" As sure as I can be." It wasn't something you would do without thinking it over but he had no time to overthink. Alec had no time. And Magnus knee that if he would let this chance slip away because of his own fears, he would never forgive himself. Never. "I've got news.", Magnus said as he entered the room. Alec was still lying in his bed, pale but awake. Isabelle, Jace, Simon and Clary gathered around. They all came to support Alec. "We found a potential donor.", Magnus proclaimed. "And who is that?", Isabelle asked, her eyes huge with hope. "Me.", Magnus said. Isabelles jaw dropped:" But haven't you been tested earlier?", Jace asked in confusion. Magnus nodded:" I did. But there was something wrong with my blood and we didn't know what it was until now. I have a very special condition in which I have two blood types. And the recessive one, being the one with only slightly fewer blood particles than  dominant one would match Alec." "But would that work?" , Simon asked. Magnus bit his lip. He knew this was not what they wanted to hear:" We don't know. There is a 50% chance that Alecs body will accept the kidney. But, there also is a 50% risk that he might not. And then, it would weaken him. Maybe even weaken him too much." Isabelle swallowed hard:" It's his only chance, right?" Magnus nodded. "Can you leave us alone for a second?", Alec asked and Jace and the others nodded and left them. With a sigh Magnus dropped himself into a chair. This was going to be tough. "I don't want it. I don't want your kidney.", Alec said quietly. "Alec...", Magnus said and took his hand but Alec jerked it back:" I can't wreck your life even more. You're endangering yourself. If my body doesn't accept your kidney you will have lost it for nothing." "Not for nothing, Alec. I will have lost it in trying to save the one person I love the most. And as it looks like it's your only chance, I will never forgive myself if I don't try everything in my power to save you. I can't just let you die like this. I won't. Not now, not ever." "You know what risk you're taking, right?", Alec asked silently. "I do. Do you know what risk you are taking?", Magnus replied. Alec nodded:" I do. But what other options do I have? Giving up? Not happening." Magnus smiled weakly:" I know it isn't. It will be alright. Promise." "You don't have to promise something you don't know Magnus.", Alec smiled weakly. "I know it. I feel it.", Magnus said, "And tomorrow you will do too." "I love you, Magnus.", Alec sighed. "I love you too.", Magnus said and walked out of the room. "He's taking it. Surgery is tomorrow.", Magnus announced. "Thank you. You have already done so much for him. Thank you for saving our brother.", Isabelle sighed and pulled him into a hug. He wasn't save yet, Magnus thought but decided to keep that to himself.

Heyhoooo guys! I hope y'all enjoyed the chapter! As you most probably know this story is well researched so all the places and the medical stuff exists. So does this two-bloodtypes-thing! It's actually super interesting so if that seems crazy or non-realistic to you, it isn't! That case is true! I just thought I'd let you guys know. Anyways, enjoy your day, ily guys❤️
XX Ally